Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Hi everyone,

I’m really looking forward to iOS 12 and the performance improvements it will bring. In order to maximize these improvements, I was thinking of doing a fresh install of iOS 12 on my iPhone, rather than an OTA upgrade or restoring from a backup. I’d like to keep my app data if at all possible, and going through my apps most seem to either back up their data to cloud services (iCloud and proprietary, with a few using my personal cloud storage), sync with their own servers, or allow you to export the data yourself and then re-import it (e.g., Streaks, WhatsApp).

The only apps on my phone that don’t seem to have a backup option, other than a couple of games, are authenticator apps, for which I would obviously want to keep my data. Authy has a toggle to enable “Authenticator backups”, so I’m assuming that’s covered, but if anyone knows for sure how that works (e.g., email address/phone number + backup password needed?), I’d really appreciate that, since the website doesn’t seem to be too clear on it. I do have Multi-Device disabled, so per this blog post on their website, I should be enabling it before doing a fresh install of iOS 12, correct?

Google Authenticator doesn’t seem to have any toggles or options whatsoever, which worries me. If the info there is backed up on Google’s servers and I have 2-factor authentication for my Google account, how am I supposed to access it from a device with a fresh install of iOS? Are the account details that I see on Google Authenticator even backed up on Google’s servers? Is my best solution to disable 2FA before installing iOS 12, and re-enabling it once I get access to my account on my iPhone? I did find this article, which seems a bit dated but I wouldn’t think the Google Authenticator apps has received many updates in functionality anyways. Is that process still accurate?

Edit: I was able to migrate all of my Google Authenticator codes/logins to Authy, so all seems well in that regard!

(Side note: after reading a bit, it seems like all of my accounts on Google Authenticator can be added to Authy, so I’ll go ahead and do that, and save myself the worry of dealing with Google Authenticator.)

Also, does anyone know how I would go about in making a backup and restoring data for the games that don’t have a backup option? :p

And finally: what other steps and tips do you recommend for doing a fresh install of iOS 12? I’ll be backing up to iTunes before installing, just in case anything goes wrong. I’ve always restored from backups, so anything that makes this process go smoothly is appreciated!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.