Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyingpig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Hi everyone, I was wondering what was the best way to store a laptop so to keep it in excellent condition. I guess that I need to remove the battery, but what else will help as well??

Should I put it in a vacuumed (no air) bag???

Thank for your input.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Flyingpig said:
Hi everyone, I was wondering what was the best way to store a laptop so to keep it in excellent condition. I guess that I need to remove the battery, but what else will help as well??

Thank for your input.

There is always the issue of the plastic which gets brittle <??> after a few decades. There isn't much you can do against that. Sorry... some things were not made to last

Flyingpig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
gwuMACaddict said:
which model is it? what makes it so collectable?

I got a couple of iBooks g3, a 466 lime and a 300 orange, that I really would like to preserve, not for a future resale or whatever pecuniary, but as a good example of what design can offers to different industries. We like them or not (the clamshells) but in my eyes, they are the most daring “design” ever released in the computer industry, and so, I really want to preserve them in all their glory. ;)

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
there are more than a few factors that can effect degradation.
first of all, light.
UV rays are no help to color, and will cause the colors to fade over time.
The best way is probably to keep it in a temperature controlled, humidity controlled pressure controlled container...but that might be over-kill.

Flyingpig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
DanTekGeek said:
there are more than a few factors that can effect degradation.
first of all, light.
UV rays are no help to color, and will cause the colors to fade over time.
The best way is probably to keep it in a temperature controlled, humidity controlled pressure controlled container...but that might be over-kill.

Well, I may consider putting them in my cellar then ;) Just a different kind of vintage a guess :D

And appart from removing the battery, something else to do??

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Flyingpig said:
Well, I may consider putting them in my cellar then ;) Just a different kind of vintage a guess :D

And appart from removing the battery, something else to do??
Don't forget the lithium battery on the motherboard as well. It will - eventually - leak. After a really long time.

Flyingpig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
jsw said:
Don't forget the lithium battery on the motherboard as well. It will - eventually - leak. After a really long time.

good one that one. Thank.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Flyingpig said:

Thank for your input.

This may sound dumb, but why not put them in the original boxes? (I have a PowerBook 100 that I'd like to keep, but I bought it off auction and it didn't come with it's box.) Most of the recent iBooks & PowerBooks come wrapped in that plastic bag; why not shove ..er, put it back in that bag, then store the box somewhere not too damp or cold?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I wouldn't recommend putting them in any sort of plastic wrapping, especially not foamed or aerated plastic. After a time, the volatile components degrade and can adhere to neighbouring plastics eg your laptop shell.
Greaseproof paper is a good long-term wrapping (the sort used for cooking). It would also be an idea to charge the battery and run the machine for a day every few months. Remove the main battery for storage, and as others have said don't forget the little motherboard battery - if it leaks it will corrode the tracks on the motherboard.
Make sure your cellar isn't damp (which it probably will be if you live in the UK!!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.