Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I've struggled with this for years, so I'm looking for a real answer. I often travel from NY to CA, and when I do so the start times for my iCal events change on my iPhone/iPad. What I want is for Calendar events to remain frozen and never change, regardless of my current time zone. Turning Time Zone Support on/off doesn't help much - if I'm in CA, future events that will take place in NY still display on CA time (even if I change the info of that event). All I want is for Calendar events to be oblivious to time zones, to never change!

(I briefly found a workaround - turning off Automatic Time Zone detection in date/time settings and manually change the time when I travel - but this disables iMessage for some bizarre reason. Help!)

Last edited:

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
There's a specific setting for time zone support for calendars. Are you switching that off. It's in settings mail contacts and calendars not the one under general date and time.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Yeah I've tried that setting, it doesn't help. My problem is this: If I'm in California, and I have a meeting in NY next week at 11am, it'll show as 8am on my calendar. Doesn't matter if I have time zone support on and set the time zones for each event carefully and correctly.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Yeah I've tried that setting, it doesn't help. My problem is this: If I'm in California, and I have a meeting in NY next week at 11am, it'll show as 8am on my calendar. Doesn't matter if I have time zone support on and set the time zones for each event carefully and correctly.

I'm not sure I see what the problem is. Your meeting is really at 11am NY time, which is 8am California time. If you were to dial into it from California, you'd be dialing in at 8am. If you're in NY, you'd be attending the meeting at 11am.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to keep the phone from automatically switching time zones, so you can always say the meeting is at 11am, and then you have to know where you will be to know what 11am you are talking about (Cali vs NY)? Not sure why you'd want to do that, but if so, you can try to change one of the following:

Settings -> General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically -> Off
...or, better yet...
Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> (scroll to bottom) System Services -> Setting Time Zone -> Off

Maybe one of those two (likely the last one) will do what you need?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I never "dial into" meetings, I always want them to display in local time. It doesn't help me to know the "California time" of an event in New York the following week. Not to mention that this whole time zone mess screws up my flights - I just want the times to never change after I put them in. If I say an event starts at 11am, it should always say that!

Turning off automatic time zone detection does eliminate the problem, but for some reason it disables iMessage. This is a preferable option to screwing up all my calendars, so it's what I'm using for now, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution. (It seems that on the Mac you can do "Floating" calendar times that are unaffected by time zones, which would be perfect, but it seems you can't do this on iOS devices).

johnaubx

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Yeah, I have the exact same issue with this. And I can't make the calendar be time zone agnostic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.