Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
I just got my new iPhone 14 Pro and I'm on a three weeks vacation with my family. I plan to test ProRes during this time, and I prepared enough external storage to transfer videos every day from my phone, but I'd also like to somehow prevent it from syncing with the iCloud where my other photos and videos are synced automatically.

Is this even possible? Because if not, I'm afraid, ProRes video will stuck all my other photos and videos from syncing even if I delete them. Especially because I probably won't have good internet during this time.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Why do you feel you even need to shoot in ProRes in the first place? What do you expect to gain aside from 6-10x the amount of data?

And no, there is no way of excluding individual files from syncing. At least none that I'm aware of. You'd have to download and then delete them.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
I don’t know, I guess I just want to play with it. It was rhe perfect timing of getting the new phone and going to the vacation, so I have a plenty of time to test it.

Btw, I found the solution by recording with 3rd party apps like Filmic Pro or Protake, where I can save files in the internal app storage instead Camera Roll, and from there I can export it to the external memory. And avoid iCloud completely for these large files.

Tested it, works as expected.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
I shot a short film on Prores with my iPhone and it wasn't nice. You will be surprised how fast Prores will fill up your memory and drain your battery, especially when you are filming non-stop family action. Plus your phone will eventually start overheating and become laggy and that might cause recording errors. I suggest to use h265/HEVC, they have the same 10bit bit depth but much easier on hardware. PR is such a niche option for a phone, you won't get anything extra from it, only headaches.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
I shot a short film on Prores with my iPhone and it wasn't nice. You will be surprised how fast Prores will fill up your memory and drain your battery, especially when you are filming non-stop family action. Plus your phone will eventually start overheating and become laggy and that might cause recording errors. I suggest to use h265/HEVC, they have the same 10bit bit depth but much easier on hardware. PR is such a niche option for a phone, you won't get anything extra from it, only headaches.
I can imagine that based on my testing this morning. I used three apps to compare: native camera, Filmic Pro and Protake, both with subscription, and I shot Log on both. I transferred videos on my computer using SD card dongles and although the quality is great, I’m not sure it’s worth all that extra effort.

Although I have 350gb free, I’d still have to transfer all these files at the end of the day to free up the space for the next day. And I can imagine that even transfer won’t be as easy, because even those test videos took quite time to transfer to SD card.

I’d like to continue shooting log, but I can downgrade it to HEVC.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you are talking about getting video files off the phone to a computer, you may find airdrop a bit quicker overall than SD dongles. Although with larger filles it may get temperamental.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.