Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
It's all started with Ventura. rtcreportingd started to consume CPU cycles despite all the reports are disabled. I couldn't find a cause, but what I want is to prevent it from running AT ALL. So it never ever starts.
It's not alone in my list. I also wish to do the same to some other processes such as com.apple.siri.embeddedspeech and other privacy-invasive s*t.
I tried this in this recipes - in first case I can't find where is this process' in plists, in second there's no way to escalate rights enough even with sudo - it says "not preveleged to signal service".
Is there a way to handle it? I actually want to regain some power over my computer back 🧐

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
If you disable SIP, you can disable system launch agents and daemons.
To disable SIP: csrutil disable from Terminal in Recovery
To disable rtcreportingd

Code:
sudo launchctl bootout system/com.apple.rtcreportingd
sudo launchctl disable system/com.apple.rtcreportingd

To re-enable
Code:
sudo launchctl enable system/com.apple.rtcreportingd

and reboot.

The change can also be reverted by deleting /private/var/db/com.apple.xpc.launchd/disabled.plist
I’ve never tried to disable rtcreportingd, I would test it in a virtual machine before trying on my Mac.
These are launch agents and daemons I currently have disabled in Sonoma
https://gist.github.com/b0gdanw/812997a189f72f3953e0a1bb237f783d
Apple's documentation about SIP https://developer.apple.com/documen...ling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

Reactions: Basic75

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE bogdanw's reply above...

It would be nice if someone could put together a graphical interface app (thinking of OnyX) that could put up a checklist of launch agents and daemons, which the user could then check/uncheck as required...

Reactions: Basic75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.