Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I have tried to use Visual Studio Code on Mavericks (v1.35) but it keeps updating automatically in the background to the latest version and I cannot use it. I have even tried turning off the autoupdate setting but still no luck (please see screenshot). Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 2.22.22 PM.png

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I don't have any experience with Visual Studio Code but couldn't something like Little Snitch prevent it from phoning home?

Or, if possible, run the computer air-gapped whenever you're using this program?

Reactions: tensixturtle

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
VSCode is (mostly) open source, so I wonder if you could actually remove the update check?

Actually, do the https://vscodium.com/ builds also try to update themselves?

Also, at some point someone ought to try compiling a version of the Electron framework with the Chromium Legacy patches. It should work in theory and it would get you the latest version of VS Code (and other Electron apps).

Last edited:

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
couldn't something like Little Snitch prevent it from phoning home?
That seems like a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. I haven't ever used Little Snitch before and I do not know if there is a way around having to pay for it? How can I set it to prevent a certain app like Visual Studio Code from connecting to the Microsoft servers?

@Wowfunhappy I haven't heard of VS Codium before, thank you for telling me about it. Do you happen to know which version might be compatible with Mavericks?

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
@Wowfunhappy I haven't heard of VS Codium before, thank you for telling me about it. Do you happen to know which version might be compatible with Mavericks?
I don't, but I'd obviously start by trying to find the version that corresponds to your last working version of VSCode. Failing that, choose a version that's ~3 years old just to see if it works at all (doesn't update). If it does, you can play the high low game to find the "last" version. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
That seems like a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. I haven't ever used Little Snitch before and I do not know if there is a way around having to pay for it?

There are but I really couldn't suggest them here… :)

Instead, try LuLu, the freeware firewall. I've been using it for quite a while and it does a good job of alerting me to whenever programs want to establish a connection - or just phone home to their creators without even notifying me. :D

Have a look through the pages for the older releases. Version 0.9.2 is described as compatible with Mavericks. Some of the subsequent releases might be as well but at least you have a definite starting point with that one.

How can I set it to prevent a certain app like Visual Studio Code from connecting to the Microsoft servers?

LuLu will warn you that a program wants to connect to wherever and give you the option to (permanently or temporarily) allow or refuse it permission. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.