Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am pretty happy with el capitan so far. but it annoys the hell out of me that i can't have 2 preview windows open at once; sometimes i want to, for example, compare images, or view 2 pdfs...at the same time. Preview no longer supports that, it's always one window only.

any recommendations for a simple Preview alternative? just for when i want to do this (view jpgs or something side by side, etc)..? or am i missing something, and there's a way to open more than one window in Preview?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Eh?
You can open multiple PDFs at the same time in Preview!
Preview also supports split view in El Capitan, so you can show two PDFs - or two anything that Preview supports - side by side, split screen.
Easy method is to just drop your PDFs, or JPGs, or whatever, on the Preview app icon in the dock. It will keep opening new windows for you as you drop more files on the icon.
Another method is to simply right-click, then Open With, which should show you Preview as the default app.
All works good.
Another option that you have - is to select multiple files, then use the right-click to open those files at the same time. All open, showing as thumbnails in the left sidebar.
Or, you can open each file separately, and each remains in its own window, if that's what you want.

Or, maybe you should check your General settings in Preview preferences. Mine is set for "Open groups of files in the same window", but you could experiment with different settings, to see if some change affects what you see...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.