Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
On my 2017 iMac, I migrated from Mojave to Monterey, now on v12.4. Since migrating I've had trouble with opening large numbers (>30 or so) of images, almost regardless of the file sizes. Two issues:

1- I previously opened all images in a folder by Cmd-A to select them, then Cmd-O, then a confirmation message to actually open them in Preview. Now nothing happens and I have to press Cmd-O and its confirmation a second time after which the images open.

2- In Preview, it frequently hangs up, i.e., I cannot go quickly from image to image without the beach ball appearing. Sometimes I have to Force Quit, sending a notice to Apple.

Image files are below 10MB each so pretty small. And this all worked very well in Mojave.

Short of Apple support, anything I can do?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Mine isn't doing that…but I don't understand Preview at all when opening multiple files.

I have a folder with 48 various images and PDFs and…no matter what setting I use in Preview's prefs…if I select all then open them I don't get all 48. Works fine in GraphicConverter (after a lot of dialog box selections during the process).

BTW I don't get a "confirmation message to actually open them in Preview". My confirmation doesn't mention an app.

For your issue I'd try testing the process in a new user account to eliminate the possibility of something wrong causing your issue in your current account.

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
Isn't it easier to just use Quick Look to look at a bunch of images all at once?

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
I tried it on my 2015 rMBP running on 12.4, with 70+ images. The file sizes were between 2-6Mb. Preview opened the whole batch under 5 seconds. What I noticed, however, is that HEIC images took a little longer to process. ie when I use the up/down arrows on the kbd to switch between next/previous image, there was a slight delay, but no spinning cursor. JPG images are way faster and there was no noticeable lag between.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I tried it on my 2015 rMBP running on 12.4, with 70+ images. The file sizes were between 2-6Mb. Preview opened the whole batch under 5 seconds. What I noticed, however, is that HEIC images took a little longer to process. ie when I use the up/down arrows on the kbd to switch between next/previous image, there was a slight delay, but no spinning cursor. JPG images are way faster and there was no noticeable lag between.
Yeah, this is what I’m used to in Mojave. Just wish this were the case for me on Monterey. Not even sure how to troubleshoot this. Probably time to get Apple involved.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
On my 2017 iMac, I migrated from Mojave to Monterey, now on v12.4. Since migrating I've had trouble with opening large numbers (>30 or so) of images, almost regardless of the file sizes. Two issues:

1- I previously opened all images in a folder by Cmd-A to select them, then Cmd-O, then a confirmation message to actually open them in Preview. Now nothing happens and I have to press Cmd-O and its confirmation a second time after which the images open.

2- In Preview, it frequently hangs up, i.e., I cannot go quickly from image to image without the beach ball appearing. Sometimes I have to Force Quit, sending a notice to Apple.

Image files are below 10MB each so pretty small. And this all worked very well in Mojave.

Short of Apple support, anything I can do?

I'm having all the same issues on my fully loaded 2021 16" MBP M1 Max. Pretty lame considering the supposed power of this machine. I'm sure Apple can fix this; the real question is if and when. Not impressed.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.