Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I noticed this the other day. I marked up a PDF with a few things, and when emailed and viewed on a Windows computer, the annotations were nowhere to be found.

I searched briefly and found mention of the same as being an issue with how annotations are stored within a preexisting PDF.

Is there any way around this using stock software included in Mavericks / without having to utilize third-party software? Seems silly to add text or otherwise mark up a PDF if I can't count on it being viewable as I see it across platform -- a big part of why PDF is so great.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You used an Apple product and made for Apple computers ONLY. So to mark up PDFs for other computers to see you need a third part tool. On a Mac a cool one is PDF Pen then export it for Windows computers.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Sent it to a friend who says she can see the changes on a Windows computer made by Apple software, but that the changes are apparently not embedded in that they don't print out when he attempts to print the PDF.

Hrm.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That's probably something you have to set in the print dialog when you print the pdf (by default it doesn't print something like notes, you need to enable it in the print dialog).

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Sent it to a friend who says she can see the changes on a Windows computer made by Apple software, but that the changes are apparently not embedded in that they don't print out when he attempts to print the PDF.

Hrm.

In the print dialog of the PC PDF software you should select "include mark up" (or some like that).

richard85

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
If you are happy with a JPEG/PNG file, you can export the page you have annotated using the File>Export option in Preview (which is what I use to annotate PDFs). You can choose the image format and resolution/quality.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
If you are happy with a JPEG/PNG file, you can export the page you have annotated using the File>Export option in Preview (which is what I use to annotate PDFs). You can choose the image format and resolution/quality.

There is that. Also, this thread of mine is almost ten years old. Fun revisiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.