Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommanderCute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Hi, guys,

i've been using a MacBook Pro for many years and I loved the Preview.app

Shrink pictures pixel-exactly, copy and paste parts of photos into another one, merge photos, add speech bubbles or text about pictures, insert a few arrows etc. pp.
I did this almost every day.

Now I'm on an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and I'm very satisfied, but I miss an app like preview.
So I don‘t need a PDF app but some kind of photo app.

What are the alternatives that can do the tasks of the preview.app I need on the iPad?

Thanks for the help. :)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah, for sure, I too miss having Preview, and it would be nice in iPadOS. I use Pixelmator on my iPad to do most of those photo editing and manipulation tasks.

Reactions: CommanderCute

CommanderCute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I bought Pixelmator Photo (not Pixelmator, because Pixelmator Photo is advertised as a dedicated iPad and Pixelmator got bad reviews for the latest version), maybe I‘m stupid, but I don‘t find any tool to cut out parts of on photo and copy it into another photo.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I bought Pixelmator Photo (not Pixelmator, because Pixelmator Photo is advertised as a dedicated iPad and Pixelmator got bad reviews for the latest version), maybe I‘m stupid, but I don‘t find any tool to cut out parts of on photo and copy it into another photo.
I can't help with you Pixelmator Photo, but I've done lots of photo tricks, including the functions you describe, with Pixelmator. I don't know about any bad reviews for the iPadOS version. I find it easy to use and has all the tools I'd like and more.

iPadPro91

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Germany
There's Preview mini for iOS now.
I also love the Preview app for macOS and couldn't really find a simple replacement on my iPad Pro. So I decided to create one myself and it's finally in the App Store. You can check it out for free. I would be happy about your feedback.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I also love the Preview app for macOS and couldn't really find a simple replacement on my iPad Pro. So I decided to create one myself and it's finally in the App Store. You can check it out for free. I would be happy about your feedback.
Nice project!
So far, it seems I can just use the stock Photos app for most if not all tasks. Keep going I’d say ?

Reactions: iPadPro91

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
Affinity Photo is very good, but it's a fully fledged photo editor so not quite the same as Preview.
They used to have a free trial, not sure if they still do but worth a look.

Utebue

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
Affinity Photo is very good, but it's a fully fledged photo editor so not quite the same as Preview.
They used to have a free trial, not sure if they still do but worth a look.
I love Affinity Photo, Publisher and work with them. But I’d love to have a Preview for quick use, too.

Utebue

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
I need a PDF editor, merger and reducer. This app looks nice but I did not see how to reduce file size which would be important for me.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Shrink pictures pixel-exactly, copy and paste parts of photos into another one, merge photos, add speech bubbles or text about pictures, insert a few arrows etc. pp.
I did this almost every day.
Besides the apps already mentioned: Google’s free Snapseed can do that (and much more).

Additionally you can add many Preview-like functions via Shortcuts to the iOS/iPadOS Share-Menu, e.g. “create pdf from images”, “export to scaled jpeg”, “convert to mp3”, et cetera - as a starting source visit e.g. Routinehub, ShortcutsGallery or AppleToolBox (other websites with shortcuts are of course available 😁). These shortcuts and their functionality are available after installation in any other app (as long as it supports functionality in general and e.g. required file types).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.