Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Several years ago Apple pulled the "hand" tool out of Preview. So unless I'm missing something, there's no good way to scroll left/right or move around the image if you don't have a trackpad.

Typically for images I can just open them in Photoshop or an image editor because all good image editors have this feature. But today I was trying to do the same only to realize I was working with a PDF.

Does anyone have a good "general purpose image/pdf" which has not been ruined by Apple? (Sorry, maybe that's a little harsh, but it feels cathartic, so I'm just going to leave it.)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Several years ago Apple pulled the "hand" tool out of Preview. So unless I'm missing something, there's no good way to scroll left/right or move around the image if you don't have a trackpad.

Typically for images I can just open them in Photoshop or an image editor because all good image editors have this feature. But today I was trying to do the same only to realize I was working with a PDF.

Does anyone have a good "general purpose image/pdf" which has not been ruined by Apple? (Sorry, maybe that's a little harsh, but it feels cathartic, so I'm just going to leave it.)

Not only that, how is one supposed to be able to click on a link in a PDF using Preview now? I have reverted to using Adobe Reader. Maybe there's some key combo that restores the hand tool functionality but what was wrong with keeping it simple and having it listed as a tool option??

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
The "Pan tool" or the Hand tool is still there but for reasons unknown they have hidden it. Just press "option" + "space bar" and it appears. Preview used to be pretty good but it seems to be getting worse with each new release.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Xee

xee-screenshot-01@2x.png

Skim

skim.png

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Not only that, how is one supposed to be able to click on a link in a PDF using Preview now? I have reverted to using Adobe Reader. Maybe there's some key combo that restores the hand tool functionality but what was wrong with keeping it simple and having it listed as a tool option??

Just hovering over a link in Preview turns the cursor into the hand tool, and clicking the link opens it in the browser. But yeah, Preview certainly ain't what it used to be.

freeman1899

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
I replaced Preview with

PDF Expert (Tabs and integration with their iOS App)

And

LilyView (I wanted to be able to browse threw all images of a folder without the need to select all files and then open them together in an preview window, and after testing also Xee, I liked the look of LilyVew more)

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Option + Space = Pan tool

Mind blown.

Thank you so much.
eyeangle,

Thank you so much for reposting exactly the same thing that I wrote only 5 posts up. You obviously didn't read the thread. I recommend that next time, take the time to read the whole thread, especially one that is so short.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
eyeangle,

Thank you so much for reposting exactly the same thing that I wrote only 5 posts up. You obviously didn't read the thread. I recommend that next time, take the time to read the whole thread, especially one that is so short.

No you misunderstood my post. I'm thanking you because I didn't know this until I read your post. Maybe I should have quote you to get the point across.

Reactions: MechaSpanky

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
eyeangle,

Sorry, I apologize, I completely misunderstood your meaning. Without the quotes I read it as you were saying it and then you were commenting that you were blowing minds. Thank you for clarifying and again, sorry about the misunderstanding!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
Btw, with a magic mouse, you can also scroll horizontally by swiping left or right.
Don't pay for alternative software when you just need a more modern device :)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Btw, with a magic mouse, you can also scroll horizontally by swiping left or right.
Don't pay for alternative software when you just need a more modern device :)
You can do that with any mouse from any manufacturer no matter how old... just hold down the Command key while scrolling. So, don't pay for a "modern device" when the functionality is built-in to the OS. ;)

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
You can do that with any mouse from any manufacturer no matter how old... just hold down the Command key while scrolling. So, don't pay for a "modern device" when the functionality is built-in to the OS. ;)
Even better ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.