Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alric@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Sort of an FYI but also a question in case there is a workaround.

As the title suggests I "discovered" that the Preview app Restore does not work with onedrive or dropbox. If a file is modified in the Preview App and then downloaded from these services it loses the ability to recover previous versions.

Is this expected? Haven't tested but it might not be a problem with iCloud. Cheers.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
It works for me with dropbox. It appears to me that preview restore feature uses time machine backups - have you excluded your dropbox folder from your time machine backup?

BTW, Dropbox itself has a restore from previous as part of it's web interface.

alric@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Did you retrieve the original version from a fresh Dropbox copy from a second machine? Syncing to dropbox won't take out the restore from the original file but it doesn't appear to transfer it to a second machine.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
It was not from a second machine. Like I said, the retrieval comes from your Time Machine backup. So if you are trying to retrieve on a machine which does not have the time machine backup disk attached, it will not work.

Like I said earlier, dropbox does have history built in, but that feature is probably not integrated into preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.