Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MariozPOC

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Rivarolo Canavese - TO
Hi, after the upgrade to Catalina, my Preview app does not open PDF files. Any other file type have no problem. Very strange...... any suggestion?? Thnks

MariozPOC

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Rivarolo Canavese - TO
Of course it shows to open with the app I set. If I use "preview" it simply does NOT open the file
[automerge]1570643251[/automerge]
If I set finder to open with "preview" It does not open the file. If I use an other app it opens perfectly

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I'm experiencing a similar same with no solution found yet. I've submitted feedback to Apple. I'm also unable to save PDFs using File -> Save... if I can get one open from Safari. I have to use the dropdown at the top middle of the Preview window.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I'm experiencing a similar same with no solution found yet. I've submitted feedback to Apple. I'm also unable to save PDFs using File -> Save... if I can get one open from Safari. I have to use the dropdown at the top middle of the Preview window.
Have you tried going into System preferences>extensions>Finder and make sure the 'create pdf' box is checked?
You shouldn't have to do that of course it should just work but it might be why it isn't.

In finder, contrl click on a pdf file then go 'get info' from the list about 4th line down.
Scroll down the menu that pops up until you get to 'open with ' This is not the same as the 'open with' in the previous menu'.
It should already say, 'preview (default)'
If it doesn't then set preview as the default there and check the 'change all 'command underneath.
That might work.

You may also have a problem with the .plist file for preview. If it's been damaged, missing the .pdf as a format something like that. If you delete the .plist file then the OS will just create a new one and this does often resolve this weird sort of problem.
You start in Finder, hold down the Option key then press 'Go' in the menu bar. (Holding the option key shows the Library which is otherwise hidden)
Find Library>preferences and it'll be something like Com.Apple.Preview.plist.
Just delete it. I can't remember if you have to reboot the computer afterwards to create a new one but probably.

Last edited:

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana

Just tagging along since I am having the same issue

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
I have the same problem.
I regret having updated to catalina. Its really bad.

A part of it is the Preview App. It wont show PDFs anymore.
I also found some people with the same problem on Apples Support site. But Apple doesnt respond. They dont care.

Macbook Pro 2012 mid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.