Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manzanaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
see title, I don't know if there is already a discussion about this but I wondered: why is this not possible? In iOS it works nice (although it would be nice if you could have the option to open it directly in a specified app) but in OS X it downloads, then you search for the file in the downloads folder en then it opens. Many times I just want to preview a file in safari quickly and then discard it, not download it, open it and put in trash and clear trash.

Is there an option to preview a file in Safari or is this something we can make happen?
Thanks!

Reactions: adrianlondon

manzanaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I have always been annoyed with having to download, open and then delete files I just want to quick look in safari to see content. should be a preview option or something right?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I couldn't say why it hasn't been done. I imagine the current formatting of Word files is problematic.

Anyway, I can count on one hand the number of Word files I've downloaded in the last year.

I'm pretty sure a website can build-in the capability (for example a Wordpress plugin).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.