Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwooduk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I'm having lots of trouble using Lion's Preview tool for image resizes/crops, it's either changed from 10.6 or it's broken.

Can anybody replicate this?

Opening a JPG taken from a camera, around 4000x3000 pixels, open in Preview, go to the Image Resize from Tools menu, and enter a new size such as 733x550, now the problem begins.

Previously in Snow Leopard the image would just resize in Preview as expected, under Lion however it appears to want to save the new size over the original file, 9 times out of 10 it's just hanging leaving a grey window, I close it and find the resized file saved on the desktop, other times no file is saved. I have also found my original image is often corrupted.

Trying to crop the resized image leads to the same problem for me, just a grey window that never crops to my selection size.

I've tried this with JPGs from my camera, and wallpapers downloaded from the net, same result each time.

As I said, I had zero problems under Snow Leopard. Can anybody else replicate this?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm having lots of trouble using Lion's Preview tool for image resizes/crops, it's either changed from 10.6 or it's broken.

Can anybody replicate this?

Opening a JPG taken from a camera, around 4000x3000 pixels, open in Preview, go to the Image Resize from Tools menu, and enter a new size such as 733x550, now the problem begins.

Previously in Snow Leopard the image would just resize in Preview as expected, under Lion however it appears to want to save the new size over the original file, 9 times out of 10 it's just hanging leaving a grey window, I close it and find the resized file saved on the desktop, other times no file is saved. I have also found my original image is often corrupted.

Trying to crop the resized image leads to the same problem for me, just a grey window that never crops to my selection size.

I've tried this with JPGs from my camera, and wallpapers downloaded from the net, same result each time.

As I said, I had zero problems under Snow Leopard. Can anybody else replicate this?

Sorry, I can't replicate it. When I enter a new size I get the dialog box to unlock the document and it resizes without issues. Send Apple feedback on your issue.

ascarab

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2016

(...) Can anybody else replicate this?

Recently, I'm having this same issue in OS X 10.10 when I open any new screenshot from the desktop, rename it first using the windows's title bar (without explicit save) and then start cropping my selection...

Then a grey empty canvas is the result and I have to undo, select and crop for a second time (before auto-save kicks in and I lose the contents).

My guess is this Preview bug still exists...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.