Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcoombs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Band-Aid Solution: Replace the Yosemite PDFKit with the Mavericks Version

As suggested at https://discussions.apple.com/message/27639834?ac_cid=tw123456#27639834 a band-aid solution is to replace the Yosemite PDFkit with the one from Mavericks. I have done this myself, and so far performance seems better with no ill effects.

From the thread:

(***Not for the faint of heart***)... Replace PDFkit framework with the one from Mavericks. Here's how:
a) BACK UP your system!!!!
b) Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks
c) Copy PDFKit.framework to somewhere else on your computer for safe keeping in case you need to replace it. This is version 3.1 in Yosemite.
d) In the same folder on a Mavericks system, make a copy of the PDFKit.framework file. This should be version 2.9.2 in Mavericks.
e) Replace the file in folder (b) with the Mavericks version (d)
f) Restart the computer

So far, this has been working for me. Preview is back to normal speed. It's only been a short while and there's always the chance that this will break something else that I haven't found yet. If you do this, make sure you have a way to go back (reinstalling Yosemite would be one way).

kcoombs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
If your Time Machine backup spans from before your installation of Yosemite, you can pull it from there.

AndreiVr

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
Probably I have done something wrong, but after completing the procedure with the file provided here, my mac stopped functioning (finder crash) and i had to restore my OS.

MacGuy99

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
Probably I have done something wrong, but after completing the procedure with the file provided here, my mac stopped functioning (finder crash) and i had to restore my OS.

Sorry you had the trouble. I just verified that the file linked above matches what I extracted from Mavericks (if you open Terminal and enter 'shasum PDFKit.framework.zip' you should get d09abd9a280fded8dd6441c4b737b437d209e375).

Did you unzip it? You do need to do that. Similar to applications on a Mac, the PDFKit.framework file is actually a folder that appears in Finder to be a single file. Thus, to actually make it a single file, I zipped it.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I followed in instructions above and everything seems to be functioning normally. PDF performance seems better, but still slower than I expect it to be.

DVemer

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
This work-around works

I came across this thread due to the crazy-slow browsing of PDF plans sent to me by the Architect I work with.

Just to let you know that what user "Adhir" mentions in his post of January 24th in this thread works....

"A workaround for those of you who haven't found it - at least for viewing - is just to use quicklook. PDFs are as fast as they were in Mavericks this way. Just find the file you want to see in Finder and hit the spacebar."

Zooming scrolling and panning of the PDF plan files is way better and completely useable when done through "Quicklook"

I hope you have a similar experience. This may also help Apple figure out what the bug is...

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I can confirm that my particular problematic PDF scrolls and zooms smoothly in Quicklook.

However - sadly - quicklook has a maximum zoom level that isn't enough for what I need.

But yes, it does show that PDFs can be viewed in pre-Yosemite glory.

Bottom line, this is a bug that Apple knows about and needs to address.

adhir

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Just FYI - this is fixed in the developers preview of El Capitan. The new OS is actually amazingly responsive; really impressed.

raytso790211

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
"WARNING: the following method below is NOT a fix!"

Having said that, I have found a "workaround" that may suffice for those who had experienced the problem.
I have found that while viewing pdf files on preview with:

1. resolution scaled at highest (1680 x 1050)
  2. pdf file opened in Preview with Continuous scroll
  3. Preview opened with size more than half the screen
    (making the window smaller will somehow help)
will experience slight "lags" while scrolling. This only affects with Preview, scrolling in Safari is smooth for me.
For those who encountered the same situation and is frustrated with Yosemite, I have noticed a workaround that can at least let me scroll smoothly:

Link an external monitor to your macbook and view the pdf files there.

I might want to add that both the external monitors I tried weren't "retina" displays. I tried it with a 24" display via VGA/Lightning adapter and the other 55" HDTV via HDMI cord. The 24" displays run at 1680x1050 while the 55" runs at 1920x1080. Both are scrolling perfectly smooth for me.

Like I previously said, this is NOT A FIX, merely a temporary solution until Apple fixes this. For those whom are frustrated with Apple/Preview, you can give my solution a try.

Hope this helps.

rhywun

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
Just FYI - this is fixed in the developers preview of El Capitan. The new OS is actually amazingly responsive; really impressed.

Confirmed! I installed the beta just for this reason now and PDF issues are fixed. FINALLY!!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I came across this thread but from a slightly different background which, of course, is not fixable by Apple considering where I am: the issues mentioned here are just part of those plaguing the Apple's build-in PDF viewer at lease since Lion that I run in concert with other 2 newer OS'es X. I never used Snow Leopard so can't say anything about reading PDFs there. In Lion Preview is v.5 and for the most part it's very robust and stable.Why for the most part and what's wrong? Well, scrolling, zooming, swiping works really fast and smooth until annotations in the form of graphic objects (ovals, ellipses, rectangles etc) are added. As you add them then the smooth order of things falls apart and Preview gets wonky at responding to Trackpad gestures. Any methods to cure the issue have no effect. I suspect that's related to how the autosave feature was implemented in Lion but that's just my wild guess.

In Mavericks Preview 7 got a boost in performance and is considerably faster regardless of how many annotations of any kind you add. However the annotations themselves have gone down in terms of usability. In Mavericks the maximum height of the note box is constrained which is absurd and in complete discord from the philosophy "just works" - it's not. If not enough, the Inspector is butchered in Preview 7: when you click any annotation in the annotations section of the Inspector the bounds of the floating Inspector window get enormously stretched horizontally, going out of those of the visible area of the screen - this is most stupid and silly bug I have even encountered. In Lion you could pick any color for the note, in Mavericks you're given a very scant choice from only 5 colors.

As of High Sierra the situation has gotten worse and here're brief observations of bugs and disturbing inconsistency: 1. Choosing the red color or any of its tints for the note makes its background neutral (decolorized). 2. Searching keywords no longer automatically reveals search results as it used to in Lion and Mavericks. To run them over you have to pre-select the view to which the sidebar will be opened and open it. What's this? This is a bad software design. 3. The Inspector is just a shadow of the former self and got stuck in the mud: they fixed the over-sized window problem but created a new one: now when you click on any annotation in the notes section those won't show up in the viewer/editor box at the bottom of the Inspector. Nice.
And so on, and so forth. They want us to upgrade to the newest OS as soon as it's rolled out and forget previous more stable and seamless experience? No thanks, I don't want to risk and keep abreast of developments that much.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.