Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsklaus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
hello,

is there a way to display epub previews without the dog ears on macos monterey (mac m1) ?

i have a lot of ebooks locally, and when i'm searching for a new book to read, i browse my epub files in the finder (column view mode). but all my epub files previews do display a white corner ("dog ear") that's ruining the preview of the book. i also have a lot of pictures i've collected over the years, fun pics, wallpapers, nature scenery, etc... and when i browse them in a similar fashion as described above, there's also that white "dog ear" that gets in the way..
is there any mean at all to preview theses files without getting the "dog ear" ruining the previews ?

thank you

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 22.41.57.jpg

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It looks like that is just a Finder thing. Not sure what the point is. I suspect that someone a long time ago thought that that made it look more “real” probably back in the days of skeuomorphism. It looks like it categories files into images (which don’t have the dog ear), apps (which only show an icon) and documents (which do show dogear). Jpeg and PDF are both images. EPUB, Doc, and CSV are all documents. The categories and how files are grouped makes little rational sense. I don’t know of any way to disable this behavior.

nsklaus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
thanks for the reply.
i admit i made a mistake about images, they do not show the dog ears.
also, .pdf books too do not show them.
what remains is the epub files..
i also noticed on ipados the .epub files do not get preview image of the book cover at all.
so this is a lack of consistency in behavior between macos and ipados.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
FYI, books show without the 'ears' in Mojave......🤔
Do they show the same if you get info on the file?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
thanks for the reply.
i admit i made a mistake about images, they do not show the dog ears.
also, .pdf books too do not show them.
what remains is the epub files..
i also noticed on ipados the .epub files do not get preview image of the book cover at all.
so this is a lack of consistency in behavior between macos and ipados.
Finder seems to consider PDFs to be images and treats them the same as jpegs and pngs without ears.

epubs fall into the “document” group and do get ears. It’s an odd distinction.

nsklaus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
FYI, books show without the 'ears' in Mojave......🤔
Do they show the same if you get info on the file?
interesting.. a regression then.. thank you for telling.
yes, it's the same if i show info on an epub file. quicklook too. dog ears everywhere for this filetype.
unfortunately i cannot install anything below bigsur (i'm on m1).
considering i profundly hate the new macos theme, i would have gladly done so if i could.

Last edited:

nsklaus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Finder seems to consider PDFs to be images and treats them the same as jpegs and pngs without ears.

epubs fall into the “document” group and do get ears. It’s an odd distinction.
if only macos had a proper , user customisable, file association program..
it would also solve all the icons mess. and i could set .epub filetype to be the same category as pdf and i would get proper previews of the cover.

apple glorify creativity, style, being different, originality ....
yet they forbid most customisations of their system. this is cognitive dissonance 101..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.