Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bond007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Central Florida
Archive and install. That is what apple suggested I do after all the problems I was having with panther. Now, so far so good. But, there is a folder called " previous system" that is taking up about 4 gigs of space. I took out all the stuff I needed, but i was wondering if it is okay to trash the folder called "previous system"? Anyone know the answer to this one?
Thanks for any help.

-007:)

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
If you can wait a bit, that's better, then delelte

The purpose of the "Previous Systems" folder is so that if you are missing something in your new install from the archive, you have your old system to go to.

You're not meant to keep it forever, however, you might want to keep it around for a few weeks, just in case. Or burn it using backup or another utility, then delete it.

There's probably little if anything you can't otherwise replace, but what if there is that one esoteric thing... I'm keeping mine for now, just in case.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
I do "archive and install" too. after installation I verify everything is fine, then I erase the "Previous System". it will require your Administrator password.

aethier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.