Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I have recenlty decided to switch from my dell desktop to a mac powerbook and after looking around I decided that the 15" was right for me. While it would be nice to buy the new powerbook before I return to school (8/23), I can hold out for as long as nessasary. While I understand that no one knows when the aluminum versions will be out, I amconcerened about how the prices of the newer versions will compare to the current.

I am able to get the 15" superdrive for $2,299 with my eduacational discount, along with an aditional $200 dollars off from an apple rebate for buying an ipod and power book at the same time (good untill 9/27). While the features the newer version will have make me want to wait, the price is right now and I am hesitant to pass up the offers in fear of the newer versions costing considerably more.

I also would hate to pass up on enahncements for a few bucks. I would really appreciate it if anyone on this board that is familiar with how apple has priced newer versions of models in the past can give me an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance for your help.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
hate to bump my own thread up but I need to make this decision ASAP, and price is one of my main concerns. Anyone have any comments?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think the last revision of the 15" brought price reductions (from 800MHz to 1GHz being top of the line). If I was after a 15" I'd wait as long as I possibly could, they are well due an update that as well as brining better spec (DDR, better video, faster CPU etc) may also bring slight price reductions.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yeah, I'm sure if you do wait and the new ones don't seem to be all you hoped, you can probably find the Ti model at an even more desirable price. After the new ones come out, everyone will be eager to sell off every last Ti they have to make way for the new ones.

mdewberry

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Hi Maise,

Quick question - I saw that you mentioned that Apple has a $200 rebate when you buy an IPod and a Powerbook? I just bought a 15" G4 Powerbook from the Apple store two weeks ago, and was not informed of this! Geez.. I would have bought an IPod if that was the case. Can you elaborate a little more on the rebate? Is it from the Apple store?

Buy the way - I LOVE the Powerbook! Go for it!

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I go back on 8/30 and bought a 15" with printer and ipod. It's an excellent machine. If you can hold out, then do so until the absolute last minute, but don't feel bad if you end up with a TiBook.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
While you mull your decision, keep in mind the following:

1) The line for new 15s is getting longer by the day. When Apple does make the announcement, they are likely to be so overwhelmed by orders that it could be quite a wait before you get yours.

2) Many of the education discounts for TiBooks automatically include the 2-yr. Applecare warranty, which brings the price of the computer down even more.

3) This may be the hardest advice to accept, but if you're a student, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to truly realize the additional speed and power of ANY Powerbook until you start working on one professionally.

My girlfriend is a design student who bought one because she "absolutely had" to have a new TiBook for school right now...even though, IMHO, she never even came close to pushing her iBook to its limits and won't come close to pushing her TiBook for several more years. So it was money she didn't need to spend for something she didn't need right now.

It's hard to resist the temptation for having the biggest, baddest, best, but be realistic about your needs right now...not what you hope to use it for in a year or two. By then, something even more powerful will be out and you'll want that one too.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by mdewberry
Hi Maise,

Quick question - I saw that you mentioned that Apple has a $200 rebate when you buy an IPod and a Powerbook? I just bought a 15" G4 Powerbook from the Apple store two weeks ago, and was not informed of this! Geez.. I would have bought an IPod if that was the case. Can you elaborate a little more on the rebate? Is it from the Apple store?

Buy the way - I LOVE the Powerbook! Go for it!

I dont have the rebate pamphlet on hand and can not seem to find it, but one thing I rember it making clear is that the ipod needs to be purchased at the same time as the powerbook. Next time I stop at my local apple store I'll pick up another pamphlet and report back to you.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i would have to say that the price won't go up. if anything, they'll keep coming down.

when does the iPod deal end? you might be able to wait and get the same deal with the new PowerBooks. but if you need a PowerBook.... well, now is not a good time to need a PowerBook. :p :D

mdewberry

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Ipod

Hi Maise,

I found something on the website for a $300 rebate (on top of the educational discount) if you buy a Powerbook, and Ipod and a printer. As I am not a student, I guess that I would not have qualified for the deal anyway. Too bad! Thanks anyway - if you do find out that the deal is also for non-students, it would be helpful to know, although it has now been 2 weeks since I bought the Powerbook, so it is probably too late.

Just to have to push to get the IPod for Christmas! :)

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Does anyone happen to have any information as to when this might come out? I, too, and making the switch from PC and I really want to get the 15" powerbook. Everyone says that the new powerbooks are coming out soon and yet the lady at the Apple store said that nothing new was coming out.

I realize that nothing is for certain until Apple says so, but if anyone has any links about the new powerbooks I would really appreciate it.

P.S. From what I've read, the 12"and 17" upgrades appear to be coming out before the 15". Does that still appear to be the case.

Thanks for the help!

mdewberry

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by rt_brained
While you mull your decision, keep in mind the following:

It's hard to resist the temptation for having the biggest, baddest, best, but be realistic about your needs right now...not what you hope to use it for in a year or two. By then, something even more powerful will be out and you'll want that one too.

Hi rt_brained,

It was good to read your comment regarding the full use of the powerbook - I bought the 15" 867 Powerbook two weeks ago, as I wanted a fun multimedia computer to store music (and eventually import to an IPod), download, clean up and store photographs, build a .mac webpage and watch movies on. I thought this was the perfect fit as I am not a media professional and would not use the laptop for work purposes. After reading the threads on apple.com however, everyone was recommending to go with the 1 GHz machine as it has a stronger video card, and I started to really doubt my decision to go with the 867MHz and save $600.00, as the video card does not have as much memory, the hard drive is not as large, etc.

It is reassuring hear that the 867MHz will definitely be a great, powerful machine for what I will be using it for. Based upon the threads that I have read, I will definitely be upgrading the RAM from 256 to 512, and I should be all set.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.