Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Apple has run 2 consecutive promotions on their flat-panel displays, so they are in a sense accepting less money for them. From what I have read here and there, industry-wide sales for flat-panel displays have been very low. Some have speculated that with prices so high, most folks who could afford one got one already.

So are we due for an industry-wide drop in LCD prices? Supposedly manufacturing costs have come down, so that would support the idea. I ask because I'd rather get the more expensive, beefier Powermac with the money I have now and get a display a little later, when the prices drop, assuming they'll drop eventually. What do you think??

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
apple has had a continious LCD/G4 promotion for quite some time now, much more then just the last two promotions. I'm hoping for a new line to be introduced at either seybold or Paris in a few weeks.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I'm certainly inclined to think that Apple's doing something with their display lineup when the current promotion ends. The specs are a bit behind the current top-end, and Apple knows that having an "official" display isn't always going to be enough incentive. Right now, you can get cheaper, and you can get better (technically, not necessarily aesthetically); Apple has to eliminate at least one of those as an excuse in order to sell more displays.

They might do what I've been hoping they would do for awhile, go to an all-widescreen lineup (the costs would probably remain about the same). A stand-alone version of the widescreen iMac's display would be a good base for the PowerMac; you could then have a 19" or 20" model that takes the place of the current 17" display.

I don't know what they'd do with the 22" Cinema Display in that lineup though. It might get scrapped while the Cinema HD gets a price cut, or they might keep it (and probably improve it if possible).

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
Re: Prices on flat-panel displays

the best thing to do is get the powermac and wait for the prices on the screens to go down. I'm sure this will happen before the end of the year. We should the introduction of a new 19" or a new 22". the widescreen speculations also sounds right to me.

I've used the 17" and is no where as good as having the widescreen space as the new imac's and the 22 cinema. Also the 23" HD has better, newer technology. I'm sure this technology will be brought to the new models. I will wait until then to decide which one to get.

watch the end of the dual offer promotion. OCT 1st is a date to watch on the displays

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
when you say that there are better displays out there, you don't mean for less money right? i heard somewhere that apple is the only company to make their displays digital...? but digital or not i see better 15" and 17" all over but apple is by far the best in the $599-$1K range. i'd say wait for the new ones though:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Liamcow
when you say that there are better displays out there, you don't mean for less money right? i heard somewhere that apple is the only company to make their displays digital...? but digital or not i see better 15" and 17" all over but apple is by far the best in the $599-$1K range. i'd say wait for the new ones though:)

Apple is the only company to make their line completely digital. The less expensive LCDs you'll see in stores use the VGA connector, which means that they accept analog inputs. More expensive, digital LCDs will have a DVI connector, which appears similar to the ADC connector, but may also have the VGA connector.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
new displays

I can't wait till apple releases new displays. I really like the widescreen idea and a 19" model would be nice. All I know is that when the new displays are released, I'll be one of the first to get one! :D

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
dude....if i could just AFFORD a 23" cinema display id be doin the widescreen thing as we speak, unfortunately they're out of mine(and practically everyones) reach. Now if they had a nice 17"+ widescreen for near $1000 i'd love that (still can't afford but hey who cares) only reason i have my 17 is because i got the apple promo deal for $600

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i would really like to go dual 17"

it just seems more conventional than one huge 23" ...i can leave one screen off while i'm just surfing the web or writing papers and turn them both on when i need to do some serious graphics/video editing.

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
Texas
if you really want a wide screen get the 22' its a grand less and come on you dont need the hd quality of the 23" cinema display

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i think that when apple comes out with the new line of monitors, the widescreen 17 will have to be cheaper than the current one. although it is a very, very nice lookin' monitor, $1000 is still a lot of money for just a monitor. im hopin a few hundred dollars drop in price, and it'll sell like theres no tomorrow:)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Between CTR and Flat Panel displays.

The problem obviously is the price, 3 times more than a regular CTR is too much and not only for computers.

The first thing we have to study here is: in witch scenario a flat panel display is better?

In my case I'm working as a VJ (Video Jockey) and I would work better with flat panels displays just because they do not take too much room to transport them and they are very bright. They are good on the road.

For my house I would keep the CTR just because I care about the TV programing (not the device I'm using) and there is not reason to use a flat panel display because there is a lot of room. I can get 3 very goot CTR tv for the price of one FPD of the same screen dimentions.

The only reason I would get a FPD is because of the look of course, and just because my jub depends of the look of my equipment on stage and not messy set ups as other VJ use to used.

So, the usability is about the same, the look of the product is nicer but the price is way to different.

I'll keep my CTR, they do the job just fine.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
It sounds like a good idea to me. However I have to ask: must you buy an Apple display (more expensive, not necessarily better) ?

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by giovanni
It sounds like a good idea to me. However I have to ask: must you buy an Apple display (more expensive, not necessarily better) ?
I have heard that apple displays (for the price range) are superior in quality and brightness than anything else you'll find at the consumer level. The only LCD i have to compare my 17" to is my roomates Dell LCD and we all know the verdict there (not a fair comparison albeit due to him using analog since that's the only option his vid card has) btw its CRT (cathode ray tube) as opposed to CTR (to the prev. post)

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by Mac2006
if you really want a wide screen get the 22' its a grand less and come on you dont need the hd quality of the 23" cinema display
but dude...why settle for less :cool:

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Originally posted by giovanni
The Apple display is consistently rated among the highest on cnet.com reviews. It also looks great, complimenting the powermac, and has the ADC, which is a godsent!

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
I know, I know, Apple dispays are great - my question as to why must he buy Apple was in response to price consideration. But I have seen some new pretty good looking monitors recently announced (I thimk one was Hitachi and another Nec ...not 100% sure) and a lot more affordable. So I myself would be tempted. However I know nothing about their specs yet.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mymemory
Between CTR and Flat Panel displays.

The problem obviously is the price, 3 times more than a regular CTR is too much and not only for computers.

The first thing we have to study here is: in witch scenario a flat panel display is better?

In my case I'm working as a VJ (Video Jockey) and I would work better with flat panels displays just because they do not take too much room to transport them and they are very bright. They are good on the road.

For my house I would keep the CTR just because I care about the TV programing (not the device I'm using) and there is not reason to use a flat panel display because there is a lot of room. I can get 3 very goot CTR tv for the price of one FPD of the same screen dimentions.

The only reason I would get a FPD is because of the look of course, and just because my jub depends of the look of my equipment on stage and not messy set ups as other VJ use to used.

So, the usability is about the same, the look of the product is nicer but the price is way to different.

I'll keep my CTR, they do the job just fine.

Every once in a while you read something that just grates on you.

When you say CTR it makes you seem less intelligent then I'm sure you are. It should be CRT not CTR. CRT stands for, "Cathode Ray Tube."

Sorry for the lecture it's just the nails on the chalk board thing.

hippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
flat panel

Apple FPD's are great BUT for the ultimate image quality and pixel refresh I use a SGI 1600SW with the SGI multi-link adapter, it supports VGA - DVI and FPD connects as has to be seen to be believed!

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
i think they should make all their displays widescreen and dump the 15inch screen - i would really like a 17" widescreen (because thats the biggests size that will fit on my desk with all my other stuff).

MidnightRambler

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2002
Apple really needs to up the quality of their displays if they plan of charging top dollar.

I've got the Apple 17" and a couple of 23" Cinemas, but they don't compare in resolution to my SGI 1600SW displays. The SGI is a 17.3" wide aspect flatpanel with a 1600x1024 native resolution. Bright, contrasty and sharp as a tack.

fallt

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2001
Ireland
Help!

Help!

Can somebody help me source an Apple desktop picture I need for a project I'm working on. I've attached a screenshot below of the relevant desktop picture. I need the desktop picture as large as possible as I plan on scaling it to A2. So ideally I'm looking for someone with a giganto cinema-sized display who can provide it in the largest pixel dimension possible.

If you have this image (it should be in System Folder/Appearance/etc.) I'd be grateful if you could email it to me at:

chris@rodneymillerassoc.com

Thanks for your help. If you're curious to know what it's for, it's for a competition entry we're submitting. We designed a website for a San Diego based record label Bremsstrahlung Recordings which is based entirely on System 6.0 (http://www.lowercasesound.com) and we thought it would be nice to use one of Apple's newer desktop pictures as a background.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 642
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.