Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is a fair price range for this 2017 15" MBP with small bezel crack?

• <$500

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • $500-$750

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $750-$1,000

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • >$1,000

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Unfortunately my 2017 MBP 15" has a small crack in the bottom of the display in the bezel area, not in the active pixel zone of the monitor. I'm going to sell it instead of replacing the screen assembly. I'm wondering about two things: first, how to price it, and second, whether it's best to sell it locally on Craigslist or send it to a service like Gazelle.

Pricing
  • Fully functional even with the crack
  • 15" Retina MBP with Touchbar
  • 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Questions
  • What is the best way to recover the most $ for this laptop?
  • What is a fair price for this laptop if I were to sell it on the used market with the crack?
  • Is Gazelle or another comparable service the best way to go to sell this?
The attached image shows the crack and its location in the screen bezel.

Thanks for any insight!
IMG_7375.JPG

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You can always ask Gazelle or other places for an offer and show them the crack picture. You don't have to accept the offer and it will give an idea of the unit's trade in value. Go up a bit from there and you have a estimate for a private party sale.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
You can always ask Gazelle or other places for an offer and show them the crack picture. You don't have to accept the offer and it will give an idea of the unit's trade in value. Go up a bit from there and you have a estimate for a private party sale.

Huh. I didn't know I could do that. I thought I had to send it to them to get a quote on something specific.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
cut a piece of black electrical tape in half and cover it and keep it.
I was thinking injecting silicone to stabilize the damage and prevent the crack from spreading. Your idea is simpler though and might work just as well really...

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
I was thinking injecting silicone to stabilize the damage and prevent the crack from spreading. Your idea is simpler though and might work just as well really...

I already ordered a new laptop, so it's just a question now of selling this one. Gazelle indicated they'd regard it as a broken device even though it works flawlessly. Sucks.

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
I already ordered a new laptop, so it's just a question now of selling this one. Gazelle indicated they'd regard it as a broken device even though it works flawlessly. Sucks.
So you already know that Gazelle is not the place to sell it. You must find a person that agrees with you in that it is fully functional. I’d say go for the normal second hand price and take the repair cost off. So you are left with 800-1200 dollars for an asking price. Maybe your buyer will have it repaired, maybe he will stick tape on there. Who cares.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
So you already know that Gazelle is not the place to sell it. You must find a person that agrees with you in that it is fully functional. I’d say go for the normal second hand price and take the repair cost off. So you are left with 800-1200 dollars for an asking price. Maybe your buyer will have it repaired, maybe he will stick tape on there. Who cares.

Thanks, that's a helpful starting point. I'd be delighted to get $800-$900 for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.