Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cap.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Since an Update of the Prime Video App a few days ago, the Prime Video App doesn't do Content- and Framerate Switchting anymore. A few weeks ago I watched the last season of "The Expanse" and the app correctly switch my my default settings 4K SDR 50HZ to 24Hz HDR when I watched "The Expanse". Since an App-Update a few days ago, that switchting doesn't happen anymore. Video stays stuck at 50Hz and HDR isn't switched on automatically. So annoying...

Reactions: Glueman

Ramonsterrr1981

macrumors member
May 9, 2019
It’s a known issue. As long as people keep complaining about it, hopefully they’ll fix it. I saw this on Reddit and managed to avoid the update. But I won’t be updating until it’s fixed. You should probably also notify Amazon. I posted on their forum too. They keep sending you to customer service. Officially that won’t do anything, as it’s a software bug. We should all just keep complaining. Just as we should to Google for not implementing this correctly either. But with Prime video every update to the app seems to break it, and then after a month or so they fix it on their end and it works again…

Cap.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Apparently an update of the Prime Video-App was released today that fixes this issue. Wasn't able to try it out yet myself.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I just tried it and it displays in HDR10 and Dolby Atmos according to my TV’s info button. I couldn’t find a way to display the app version. But it seems to be fixed.

BTW, on my Fire TV Cube it displays in HDR10 and Dolby Audio DD+. It seems awfully dark and faded color-wise on both devices, so I’m guessing they didn’t do a good job filming it. I looked at Season 6 Episode 1. Not impressed with the show at all…

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I just tried it and it displays in HDR10 and Dolby Atmos according to my TV’s info button. I couldn’t find a way to display the app version. But it seems to be fixed.
You’ll find the app software version info under its store listing in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.