Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The 1992 version of Prince of Persia has the most useless copy protection ever. Level one is the only level included in the demo, so the copy protection kicks in when you win level one and try to play level two. When you win level one you get chucked inside a room with about a dozen potions. A dialog box comes up saying "drink the potion matching word X, line X, page X in the manual". Each potion has a letter above it. The stupid thing is that you get unlimited tries, and each time you have almost a 10% chance of drinking the right one... :rolleyes: Often it only takes a few guesses to get it right. About 10 at the most.

Anyone else encountered stupid/useless copy protection?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
LOTS of games in the late 80s and 90s had this copy protection.
They often ask the player to type in something from various pages in the manual. The concept was that only legit users had the manual... It was as effective as today's copy protection.:D

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I remember my Dad used to occasionally get me dodgy games for my Amiga. They would often come with a printout with all of the answers to the copy protection questions. This sort of copy protection method was pretty common.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Of course back then pirating wasn't too much of a issue, as the internet wasn't an effective means of distributing software, legally or illegally.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Our beloved App Store has no effective copy protection. The same simple method works for every single app out there. Sucks to be a dev!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Remember Sid Meier's Civilization I, back in the days of DOS? It was an awesome game, but the copy protection was easy to get around, it asked a question for you to look into the manual for the answer, but it was a general knowledge sort of question that you could often easily remember after a while. I loved that game. I was always the one who dominated the entire world. :)

Geoff Crammond's Microprose F1 GP had a chart with words you had to enter if I remember right. Those were the days - no activation stuff! :cool:

And then I remember when some high end software started using activations, like the old Dreamweaver type software, those activations were always easily bypassed by anyone with any clue of computer knowledge. Now they are fortunately more robust.

fnos

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
DUDE THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. I played this game (POP 1989) back in like 2002 when i was a kid at a friends house a few times. As i got older i remembered the game but never even realized it was the original Prince of Persia game. I had only been familiar with the Ps2 era games and never even really played them. I randomly saw a video of the original game and i was shocked to see that the game i played a handful of times and never knew the name of was the original Prince of Persia game. I didn’t even know the ps2 games were reboots. The part of the 1989 pop game that always stuck out to me was the part that i could never get past. The room where you had to drink the correct potion! After finding the game i watched video after video of Full playthroughs trying to find the level, and thought i was crazy because i couldn’t find it. So thank you for posting this and solving a mystery in my head for like 20 years.

Reactions: raresl

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Monkey Island had a cardboard code wheel, replicated here:

I always thought this was fun, it was an extra puzzle in the style of the game.

Of course people would just take it apart, photocopy the two parts and distribute these along with the floppy copies.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
After playing the original Prince of Persia, I came to realize why the King of Persia had so many wives. Get yourself enough sons, one of them will eventually be smart enough not to walk off the edge into a spiked pit.😏 The sword fights, not to bad. The jaws of death, easy. The falling floors, *yawn*. Walking to the edge of the platform without falling off, unpossible.😖

raresl

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023
DUDE THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. I played this game (POP 1989) back in like 2002 when i was a kid at a friends house a few times. As i got older i remembered the game but never even realized it was the original Prince of Persia game. I had only been familiar with the Ps2 era games and never even really played them. I randomly saw a video of the original game and i was shocked to see that the game i played a handful of times and never knew the name of was the original Prince of Persia game. I didn’t even know the ps2 games were reboots. The part of the 1989 pop game that always stuck out to me was the part that i could never get past. The room where you had to drink the correct potion! After finding the game i watched video after video of Full playthroughs trying to find the level, and thought i was crazy because i couldn’t find it. So thank you for posting this and solving a mystery in my head for like 20 years.
Same here, it stuck with me for 15yrs. At that young age I was taking a computer course and if you were quick going thru all the tasks you had extra time to use the PC at the end - games ofc. Remembered it being Prince of Persia and being in a room with potions with letters and asking my teacher which one I should drink and accidentally drinking the wrong one and losing a life - luckily I reached that "level" with two. Always wondered how he knew which one to drink to pass but couldn't find the level during playthroughs.
Please help me find another game from that time: Flintstones inspired game, you had a club and you would hit things like dinosaurs and giant eggs.
Thank you,
Rares

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.