Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doughbouy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Had all kinds of problems trying to figure out how to get my 2-sided print function back. Searched all over and found bits and pieces here on MacRumors for other printers but not for my specific printer. Felt I needed to pass the word on how to fix this problem on my printer to others.
I'm running OS 10.13.4 High Sierra on a iMac and also a Mac Mini. this work-around worked on both. When I installed the latest Airport Extreme router which my Canon MG3122 (MG3100 Series) printer was attached to it forced a driver upgrade for this printer (to CUPS Print Drive Version 16.20.00). This broke my 2 sided printer function (2 sided print choice grayed out). Must have Duplex function turn on and that too was grayed out. This is how I fixed it for this latest driver:
1. Select: Print under File on top of Mac desktop (Any Web page in safari will do).
2. Select: Show Details
3. Open pulldown menu that says "Safari"
4. Select: Print Features
5. Scroll down and turn ON duplex Printing function.
6. Scroll down further to "Duplex" function and from drop down menu select "Duplex - Long Edge"
7. At top of printer details
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 11.14.21 AM.png
page select "Presets" function and "Save Current Settings as preset"
8. Name the new preset as "Portrait (Duplex) 2-sided" (or some other name that makes sense to you).
Anytime you need to print 2 -sided select this new preset configuration.
Done!

McDigNic

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Had all kinds of problems trying to figure out how to get my 2-sided print function back. Searched all over and found bits and pieces here on MacRumors for other printers but not for my specific printer. Felt I needed to pass the word on how to fix this problem on my printer to others.
I'm running OS 10.13.4 High Sierra on a iMac and also a Mac Mini. this work-around worked on both. When I installed the latest Airport Extreme router which my Canon MG3122 (MG3100 Series) printer was attached to it forced a driver upgrade for this printer (to CUPS Print Drive Version 16.20.00). This broke my 2 sided printer function (2 sided print choice grayed out). Must have Duplex function turn on and that too was grayed out. This is how I fixed it for this latest driver:
1. Select: Print under File on top of Mac desktop (Any Web page in safari will do).
6. Scroll down further to "Duplex" function and from drop down menu select "Duplex - Long Edge"
7. At top of printer details View attachment 765686 page select "Presets" function and "Save Current Settings as preset"
8. Name the new preset as "Portrait (Duplex) 2-sided" (or some other name that makes sense to you).
Done!

Thanks this helped, was having problems with my Epson WF-3620, using these instructions I was able to print 2-sided, but as with Preview the second page comes out upside-down! So My solution was to try another browser - Opera, this brings up a PDF format for printing, to do double sided printing, need to scroll down on the right-hand side below 'more options' there is a link to 'Print using system dialogue' from here there is an option on 'Layout' (drop down box) choose 'Two-side printing settings' and turn on two sided printing.

tschoeber

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
This thread helped me restore the 2-sided printing function for my Epson Artisan 725 printer that was lost when I upgraded my iMac from High Sierra to Mojave. Thank you for taking the time to share it here!

That said, there is one additional setting that I also had to change before I could get two-sided printing to work correctly (at least on my particular printer). As another poster has noted, the above steps got double-sided printing working again but the "back" side was rotated the wrong way.

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that setting the Duplex Tumble option (which is buried deep in the Printer Features menu) to "DuplexNoTumble" makes double-sided pages print the right way.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
This thread helped me restore the 2-sided printing function for my Epson Artisan 725 printer that was lost when I upgraded my iMac from High Sierra to Mojave. Thank you for taking the time to share it here!

That said, there is one additional setting that I also had to change before I could get two-sided printing to work correctly (at least on my particular printer). As another poster has noted, the above steps got double-sided printing working again but the "back" side was rotated the wrong way.

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that setting the Duplex Tumble option (which is buried deep in the Printer Features menu) to "DuplexNoTumble" makes double-sided pages print the right way.

Glad folks are finding a work around. It can vary by driver and application.

Often there is a checkbox: Flip Horizontally
Sometimes there is a option: Short Edge or Long Edge binding

Both of which swap the image 180 degrees on the back of a duplex (two sided) printing.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I found that when the Apple-supplied driver for my Canon was re-installed for Mojave, it was missing some features too. Turns out I had to go to the Canon website to get their driver - the Apple one just doesn't support "print quality" settings for my printer now.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I found that when the Apple-supplied driver for my Canon was re-installed for Mojave, it was missing some features too. Turns out I had to go to the Canon website to get their driver - the Apple one just doesn't support "print quality" settings for my printer now.

I have seen that from others too...frustrating that Apple and third party companies cant keep driver versioning sorted out.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I have seen that from others too...frustrating that Apple and third party companies cant keep driver versioning sorted out.
Worse still - Apple dropped some really old drivers in High Sierra - but the manufacturers were still instructing users to "go to apple" for drivers. I spoke with some support staff about this a few weeks ago (for my parents - their ~2012 consumer inkjet is still working fine!) and didn't get far, but then not long after, the Mac popped up "do you want to update drivers for this printer" - so maybe they actually restored some of the previously removed ones?

farrahm1313

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2019

This worked for me!!! I have an Epson Artisan 835 printer. When I updated to High Sierra (current version I'm running is 10.13.6), my printer began printing the back page of a two-sided document upside down even after selecting two-sided printing and long edge binding. I tried selecting 'DuplexNoTumble' function and now my two-sided documents are printing correctly! Thank you so much! And hope this helps anyone else with this frustrating issue!

adflangnas

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
7. At top of printer details View attachment 765686 page select "Presets" function and "Save Current Settings as preset"
Done!
[doublepost=1561588682][/doublepost]Thank you so much. This lost feature has been driving me crazy for the past 5 years. Keeping my fingers crossed it works.

asankey

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019

Thanks, the "DuplexNoTumble" fixed my page orientation problem, printing on an Epson WF-2750 using Preview on a Mac (Mohave). I had already done the 2-sided, long edge settings and that wasn't working.

viv2022

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I attempted some of the solutions above however, I don't have an option that says "duplex printing" in my options so I can't click on that. I also don't know how to download an older driver. Can someone help me? I have an epson 4700 and a mac.

Thanks so much!

1579446447394.png
1579446760938.png

doughbouy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I attempted some of the solutions above however, I don't have an option that says "duplex printing" in my options so I can't click on that. I also don't know how to download an older driver. Can someone help me? I have an epson 4700 and a mac.

Thanks so much!

View attachment 889548 View attachment 889549
Hi, glad lots of people found my documented solution/work-around helpful, for a while anyway. Update to my post:
My ultimate fix for this duplex print (double side print) issue was a new printer. For the WIFI issue I had with the printer, (AirPrint from iPads and iPhones 6 and 10s) the solution was a new router. Easy to overlook that essential device in your ever expanding home network. Some thing to think about...Mine was over 6 years old! According to support it's pretty typical in households today to overlook that essential device.

I think falling back to an older driver is just going to give you other issues if it works at all. Apple has abandoned 32 bit support. I'm sure Printer manufacturers are just following their lead by not updating their drivers, hence driving future product sales. Built in obsolescence and all!
Suggested cheap printer upgrade: (I don't work for Canon or Apple and am not affiliated with them whatsoever. Just a consumer like you looking for a quick fix!)
I'm sure any new printer will work just fine. I suggest a Canon TS5100 Series 2 or higher model. They work just fine with both Mohave and Catalina OS's. They are AirPrint capable and multi-function. They are around $50 bucks at Walmart. I got mine directly from Canon overnight. I was back up and running in less than 12 hours. Just transferred my existing print cartridges over, powered it up and let the iMac and OS do the rest.
As for my AirPrint issue with other IOS devices I replaced my ancient Airport Extreme router with the latest model. It's quite expensive and may not be your best solution. It was mine. (AirPrint being a critical need for all my IOS devices). I'm sure any new router will work just fine. Note: Before buying a new router try configuring AirPrint on your new printer first. Maybe it will just work fine for you. I didn't have the time to test it with my old router.

If you do find a way to fall back to an old driver and it proves to work for you please post you're experience here for all to benefit!
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.