Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Note: The post “Printer Issue (Xerox 7328)” may describe a related issue

I have an old HP LaserJet 400 Color M451dn.
HP LaserJet 400 Color M451dn.jpg

I have been able to print to it without problems until more recently. Problems probably started with the first release of macOS Ventura.

Here is what I posted to the Apple Feedback Assistant:

Print presets are not saved or adequately saved in the print dialog. When I change Double-Sided to “On (Short Edge),” and then save that as “Duplex Landscape,” it does not stick. This was no problem prior to Ventura. When I change to a different preset and then back to “Duplex Landscape,” Double-Sided is now “Off.”
Here are a sequence of screenshots that show exactly, what I did:

1 Initial print dialog.png

2 Making the desired Double-Sided selection.png

3 Save settings as a preset.png

4 Name the preset “Duplex Landscape”.png

5 Named preset shows up in list.png

6 Temporarily switch to a different preset.png

Reactions: 70700

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Maybe save it just for that printer not for 'All printers'?
Maybe if it realises all printers can't do that it won't save it?

AtariAge

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Yes, this is completely broken in all versions of Ventura so far, and I wish I had known this before I upgraded from Monterey months ago. I have many large printers I print to on a regular basis, and using printer presets to manage settings for different printers, paper trays, media, and so forth, is an important time saver. It's been a nightmare with Ventura, as I now have to manually set every option that would normally be saved in a preset. And if I make a mistake when doing this, I end up wasting paper, toner, and time.

There are multiple threads on Apple's support forum about this, and Apple has yet to fix the issue. At this point, I'm not even sure it'll be fixed in the next version of macOS. And for the record, this happens on Intel and AS machines, and across different printer manufacturers.

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023
Its been a fun 15 years but I've come to the conclusion that Apple no longer wants Pro users. They are too fussy and are difficult to satisfy with their interest in "functionality" and "productivity".

Clearly the message from Apple is that serious creativity will soon be the exclusive domain of Windows.

Reactions: BKDad

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I have a 2018 MBP and an m2 mini bot running Sonoma. The MBP saves my printer settings but the mini doesn’t. I was hoping to find a solution in this thread, but apparently not yet.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2018
There are multiple threads on Apple's support forum about this, and Apple has yet to fix the issue. At this point, I'm not even sure it'll be fixed in the next version of macOS. And for the record, this happens on Intel and AS machines, and across different printer manufacturers.
I have the same problem in both OS 13 and OS 14 on several machines with Brother and Canon printers.
Anybody found a fix?

Reactions: BKDad

AtariAge

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
I have the same problem in both OS 13 and OS 14 on several machines with Brother and Canon printers.
Anybody found a fix?
Unfortunately, it still is broken for me in Sonoma as well, and I'm primarily using Xerox machines (C500, Phaser 7800 and C60). I'm absolutely stupefied that this was completely broken for the entirety of Ventura and still seems to be broken in Sonoma. It's like Apple doesn't even care. And there are threads all over the internet about this, there's no way they don't know this is an issue after over a year.

My only choice at this point is to setup a Windows machine and use that for printing. I've confirmed that Xerox's print drivers in Windows support saving and loading presets. I'll verify this first and then install the applications I need to print from (primarily Acrobat Pro and Photoshop). I'll then use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client to remote into the machine when I need to print.

When you're printing on something like a C60 and have seven paper trays, most loaded up with different sizes and types of media (not to mention a ton of other print-related settings), doing frequent printing without presets is a nightmare.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I just realized that the printer that still works is a few years newer than the one I use with the mini. I guess Apple considers my older printer vintage and no longer supports it. Thirty years ago technology was advancing so rapidly that 5-7 years old would maybe be vintage, but I don’t consider that the case today. I guess that’s just part of the “Apple Tax”.

Gabe-888

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2024
I can confirm that today it's still running into an issue with macOS 13. but my issues are a little bit different, sometimes I can set a couple of them, but not all of them, and the only time I can be successful is to set two, not 4 presets that I want to set, it's odd.

Working for a managed printing service is very frustrating, the old mac works fine, and the customer buys a new Mac, especially since the customer doesn't even know it is a macOS problem.

The next thing I will try is to edit the
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.plist
file or one other file that is specific to the printer. And reboot or load and unload the files, to see if that helped

My device is a Canon Imagerunner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.