Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
Does anybody know who makes Apple's printed circuit boards for the G4's?

TIA ...

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
Circuit Boards? Nobody Knows?

Nobody has ANY IDEA who makes the circuit boards for the Macs? I've learned that three companies make circuitboards for practically everyone, for everything from cell phones and pda's to computers. The companies are Flextronics, Solectron and Sanmina. Does Apple contract out their circuit boards to one of these companies, or another company, or do they have their own in-house factory for this? I'll bet the job is contracted out, and I want to know who gets the contract.

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
printed circuit boards

Onyxx -- Hoping to find out who makes the G3 and G4's. My youngest Mac is a Power Mac 5400/180 which is not exactly in the same class as the G's.

Thanks for your reply. It's a good idea, anyway. If you have a spare & get curious, let me know what you find.

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
PowerUser86 : Why I want to know?

PowerUser86 -- Thanks for your reply.

Did you know that 3 chipmakers, Sanmina, Flextronics and Selectron, make practically all the circuit boards, from teensy cell phone ones to big workstation ones, for all the computer "manufacturers?" And that manufacturers, in the trade, are now referred to as "OEM's" or "original equipment makers." In other words, they figured out how to actually make the thing, then they subcontracted out a lot of the parts.

If you have a hunch that Apple sales are going to take off soon because of OS X, but you want to hedge your bets by basing a small investment on a broader base of the market, finding out who makes the required components and investing there is one way to do it.

The drawback is, however, that production increases at the circuit company will be affecting only one of its clients (apple) and the sales jump will be diluted among the fate of its other accounts. Eventually, however, more PC's will be made and sold, and the computer market will recover.

A direct investment in Apple would be undiluted, and hopefully highly profitable over the short term, but would concentrate all the risks in Apple's risk basket. If Apple doesn't take over the market right away (an unfortunate but likely prospect), other PC makers will hold onto their market share. Boring but potentially profitable.

If I ever want to get out of the hole in this insane economy, I've got to think of myself as less of a consumer and as more of a participant in the production side.

And you?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Ack! a day trader!!!

Pleze tell me you're not looking for a fast buck in stocks.

The current economic screwup is a direct result of TOO MANY DAY TRADERS!!!!!
The stock market was designed for INVESTMENT not freakin high stakes baccarat. There are too many folks who DO invest for the long haul to day trade in good conscience, knowing that the cumulative actions of massive day trading and sizeable rumor manipulation can detrimentally effect thousands of lives. Think on that when you consider buying a new Bmer with your sellout cash.

VENT VENT VENT RANT RANT RANT.

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
Au contraire, Monsieur Mischief!

I am no day trader. I'm no trader at all! And I was planning to buy and hold.

None of this is to say that you actually KNOW who the chipmaker is, do you?

Mind if I start a thread on the topic of daytrading and which insane economic practices got us into our current quandary? Day trading was a mosquito on the swollen red nose of the real culprit.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
bravo

ya, there was a larger trading issue: the folks who purposefully crash stock thru PR. I just couldn't remember what the term wuz.

Glad to hear yer wizer than the average shmoe.

It's motorola for the time being.

itomato

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2001
There's some good info at circuitree.com. Here's a link to a story that shows the top few PCB manus in China & Taiwan, their output, and predicted output for 2001. It's an old story, but the names are there. It doesn't say that they make them for Apple, however.. A little creative journalism is all it should take..

[Edited by itomato on 08-12-2001 at 12:47 PM]

ritaroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2001
PCB's, Motorola, Day Traders and BMW's

Greetings, Mischief, itomato, and the rest of you hardware-heads:

The more I hear about Motorola's partnership with Apple, the better I like Motorola. It seems to be a good company. From what I have learned about OEM's lately, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola is another OEM which contracts out actual PCB manufacturing.

itomato's link to CircuitTree, the zine for the PCB industry, was a big help. That's the kind of information I hoped to find through this discussion board.

P.S., I've always owned Very Old Japanese station wagons and pickup trucks. I've no use for the BMW gang.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.