Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
So for some reason my new iMac 27 (2017) has begun printing just blank pages. I’ve had a bit of a trawl through the web and tried:
  • Resetting print options
  • Deleting pdf files from the /library/internet plug ins folder (there weren’t any there)
So any other ideas? It was working last week and I can’t think of anything I’ve done to change it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What OS are you using?
What printer are you using?
Has there been a print driver upgrade for it?

You might try going to "printers and scanners" in system preferences.
Then... DELETE the existing printer.
Then... Add a "new" printer (actually, you're re-installing the old one).
See if that helps.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
What OS are you using?
What printer are you using?
Has there been a print driver upgrade for it?

You might try going to "printers and scanners" in system preferences.
Then... DELETE the existing printer.
Then... Add a "new" printer (actually, you're re-installing the old one).
See if that helps.
Hi

It’s the latest Mojave.

It’s an epson xp245 and I don’t think there’s been an update for it.

Yep deleted it and reinstalled. No joy I’m afraid

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi

It’s the latest Mojave.

It’s an epson xp245 and I don’t think there’s been an update for it.

Yep deleted it and reinstalled. No joy I’m afraid
Is it always with the same document or file type or is this occuring regardless?

Can you reliably reproduce the issue or is it random?

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Is it always with the same document or file type or is this occuring regardless?

Can you reliably reproduce the issue or is it random?
Happens every time I print something. It looks ok in preview but just comes out as blank pages
[doublepost=1546359503][/doublepost]Oh and should add I printed the docs with no issue from then win7 machine so I don’t think it’s the printer but am trawling epsons website just in case

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does your printer successfully print anything? Try to do a test print, from the printer's control panel. You should be able to print out the network configuration page, for example, or a page that shows that all colors are printing, without streaking or smearing --- one of those pages should be a good test that your printer is actually putting ink on the paper.

Reactions: willmtaylor

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Does your printer successfully print anything? Try to do a test print, from the printer's control panel. You should be able to print out the network configuration page, for example, or a page that shows that all colors are printing, without streaking or smearing --- one of those pages should be a good test that your printer is actually putting ink on the paper.

Yep this is the first protocol. Failing to print a test page would indicate a driver incompatibility to me. Check if Epson has an upgraded driver for Mojave.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Yep this is the first protocol. Failing to print a test page would indicate a driver incompatibility to me. Check if Epson has an upgraded driver for Mojave.
I couldn't see an option for a test page (new to Mac after decades with Windows). It won't even show me the status of the inks, says it's unavailable.

I may have found something will report back.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
This is ONLY on the printer's control panel, and has nothing at all to do with any computer. You could do this with the printer completely disconnected. It's just the internal utilities that are built-in to your Epson.
I think that you hold the button (on your Epson XP245 printer control panel) that looks like an "I" for a couple of seconds, and that is supposed to kick out a network settings page. That one you can do, even if your computer is not even powered on.
From your Mac, you can also print a test page from the printer queue window. You probably also can go to the printer's Utility from the menu in that same printer queue window. There, you can probably do a couple of different test pages, including one that should be a report of the printer's local settings, and again showing you how the colors print, so you can evaluate printing quality.

Reactions: willmtaylor

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ah I see. @DeltaMac wants to verify if the issue is with your printer at all. Given the printer was working fine before, I’m going with it not being an issue with the printer as such but with the Mac recognising the printer. If you go within printer settings, you should find the print test page option. I’m not with my Mac right now, so can’t give you step by step instructions.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... Given the printer was working fine before, I’m going with it not being an issue with the printer as such but with the Mac recognising the printer. If you go within printer settings, you should find the print test page option. I’m not with my Mac right now, so can’t give you step by step instructions.
Yes, and the OP said that pages are "printed" (a sheet is pulled through the printer path and ejected). That, to me, means that the printer is recognized, but the result is a blank page. I call that a "successful, but flawed" print (a page was ejected, even through it was blank). Could be software, but you do need to find out if the printer is actually flowing ink onto the paper. A test page, from the printer itself, should prove that.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes, and the OP said that pages are "printed" (a sheet is pulled through the printer path and ejected). That, to me, means that the printer is recognized, but the result is a blank page. I call that a "successful, but flawed" print (a page was ejected, even through it was blank). Could be software, but you do need to find out if the printer is actually flowing ink onto the paper. A test page, from the printer itself, should prove that.

Ah sorry, missed that bit. Thanks.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Ah I see. Yes the printer is fine because it prints from the win 7 machine without any issues.

My idea yesterday didn't work so I'm still stuck I'm afraid. It may be time to buy a printer that specifically says it's for Mac. The XP 245 was bought to work with the Win 7 machine.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Apologies for this, as I said I'm new to Mac so keep forgetting there's an extra menu at the top of the screen. Test page from printer itself works fine, test page from Mac just ejects a blank page so I'm still stuck

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Apologies for this, as I said I'm new to Mac so keep forgetting there's an extra menu at the top of the screen. Test page from printer itself works fine, test page from Mac just ejects a blank page so I'm still stuck

Ok, that does feel like a driver issue as I mentioned before. Check if there’s any updated software for your printer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you looked here:
https://epson.com/Support/wa00607c

Looking here:
https://www.epson.eu/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/1316/20002

Hmmmm....
I see printer updates ONLY through High Sierra.
Nothing listed for Mojave.

It looks like you could be left with 2 options:
1. Wait until Epson releases a driver compatible with Mojave
or
2. Downgrade back to High Sierra if you want to use the printer with that Mac.

(such are the pitfalls for those who opt to use Apple's "latest and greatest" software.... )

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Have you looked here:
https://epson.com/Support/wa00607c

Looking here:
https://www.epson.eu/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/1316/20002

Hmmmm....
I see printer updates ONLY through High Sierra.
Nothing listed for Mojave.

It looks like you could be left with 2 options:
1. Wait until Epson releases a driver compatible with Mojave
or
2. Downgrade back to High Sierra if you want to use the printer with that Mac.

(such are the pitfalls for those who opt to use Apple's "latest and greatest" software.... )
How do I set this to Resolved?

It is a driver issue and Epson do have one for Mojave, I just don't know why it isn't listed on their website. A quick chat with Epson support got me the driver and I can now see all the usual stuff I would expect for a printer (ink levels etc) so am a happy bunny.

I’ve asked them why it isn’t listed and until they tell me, I’m a bit loathe to post the link. I can send it via DM if anyone needs it

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I’ve asked them why it isn’t listed and until they tell me

Epson, Canon and HP release their print drivers through Apple. At some point, you would get an update through the App Store that says something like there are new printer drivers available for your Mac... and you can click to download. You may still get this.

That you haven't seen this makes me wonder: Have you an iTunes/App Store account and is your Mac properly registered? You do have the option to skip this step when setting up new and, if you did, that is the cause of your problem.

When adding your printer, it should have automatically checked for the Epson latest drivers if your Mac is registered correctly. If your Mac is properly registered with Apple and you added your printer correctly and let it check for printer updates, the the issue is between Apple and Epson and there's nothing you can do about it.

...except call support and get the latest driver—as you did. The tech you talked to is unlikely to know what I just posted.

Now, try getting a driver out of HP. I dare you. HP will tell you to call Apple and Apple will tell you to call HP and you'll feel like a ping pong ball. That led me to helping Apple fix the print and scan issues that plagued OS 10.6–10.8.1. Print and Scan have worked correctly since 10.8.2. You are all welcome.

Brother does not release print drivers through Apple. Their printers will use the generic AirPrint driver but you need to download the correct drivers from Brother to access the printer's full set of features. You want the Brother drivers.

Canon deletes print drivers from Apple when they consider the unit obsolete. Their Japanese web site is where you can find them for download to see if anything still works. Some of my school clients have these discontinued Canon printers and the Mavericks drivers still work in Mojave if found and reinstalled. There are separate print and scan drivers, BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: martint235
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.