Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I can setup networking to my pc fine, and connect to the printer, however in the section where you have to select which printer type it is - under hp I can't find a 5900 series (my printer) even though it says its networkable - I can get it to print out, but with slightly off colours if I select another hp printer, but don't know which one would offer identical output?

Anyone else had this problem or know a solution I could try?

thanks,

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Are you talking about the HP DeskJet 5900 series? If you are, then you are going to have to use a CUPS driver. I recommend that you download and install Gutenprint. Use the included driver for the DeskJet 990 which is supposedly compatible with the DJ 5900 series. If this does not work, download the CUPS PPD file for the DeskJet 5940.

stoise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks a lot - I appreciate your help, unfortunately GutenPrint only has the 990C in my list (which has the same, spotty- problem) and I'm not sure how to install that PPD file (when I select it for the printer model under 'other' - nothing prints)
Thanks anyway

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Thanks a lot - I appreciate your help, unfortunately GutenPrint only has the 990C in my list (which has the same, spotty- problem) and I'm not sure how to install that PPD file (when I select it for the printer model under 'other' - nothing prints)
Thanks anyway
:rolleyes: Two options:

1. Place the PPD file in /Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/.
2. During the setup process, use Printer Setup Utility to open the PPD file from wherever it is stored in your file system. The Desktop is a convenient location. PSU will place a copy in the location listed in Option No. 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.