Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Any limits to they type of printer I can use with an SE? I want to buy a used LaserWriter for one that I'm purchasing, and I don't want to buy one and pay for it to be shipped, olny to find out it's too new.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Generally, if the printer driver is written for OS 9 or below, the printer supports postscript level 2, the printer has a localtalk serial connection and it supports appletalk it will work with your SE.

Basically all Apple Laserwriters fit this description.

I am 90% confident of this if your SE is running system 7 or above.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
UH and if you have 6 youre dead. I thihnk that the SE' work with early deskwriters, stylewriters, laserwriters and and imagewriters. better compatibility with 7 than in 6

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
The Macintosh SE has a 68000 processor which limits it to the StyleWriter series (I think up to the StyleWriter II works on it). Laser printers are different and to my knowledge all LaserWirters will work on a Mac SE.

THe Mac SE can have up to Mac OS 7.5.5, which includes the LaserWriter 8 driver and other LaserWriter Drivers.

It depends on what ports are available on your LaserWriter. Tell us the model name.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by awulf
The Macintosh SE has a 68000 processor which limits it to the StyleWriter series (I think up to the StyleWriter II works on it). Laser printers are different and to my knowledge all LaserWirters will work on a Mac SE.

THe Mac SE can have up to Mac OS 7.5.5, which includes the LaserWriter 8 driver and other LaserWriter Drivers.

It depends on what ports are available on your LaserWriter. Tell us the model name.

I don't have one yet, looking for info so I won't waste my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.