Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nosaj72

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Since I have a iBook g3 800, I'm not sure how much use I will get out of the software instruments feature of GarageBand. The reports I've heard say you can do one track of Software Instruments before it dies. I was thinking, however, could you record your track, mute all other tracks, export to itunes, drag the file back to garage band and get a audio version of the software instrument track, thus freeing up another track for software instruments?? Anyone try this? Anyone have a easier solution??

BTW, does anyone know if garageband supports applescript?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Re: "Printing" a Software Instruments Track

Originally posted by nosaj72
Since I have a iBook g3 800, I'm not sure how much use I will get out of the software instruments feature of GarageBand. The reports I've heard say you can do one track of Software Instruments before it dies. I was thinking, however, could you record your track, mute all other tracks, export to itunes, drag the file back to garage band and get a audio version of the software instrument track, thus freeing up another track for software instruments?? Anyone try this? Anyone have a easier solution??

BTW, does anyone know if garageband supports applescript?

Unless GB supports track freezing, like Logic does, then yes, this is the only way.

This is called "bouncing", and you can do this for as many tracks as you want. Get your mix just right, then bounce down to stereo and import that back into a single track.

This method allows you to get a lot more tracks onto a limited system. This is the way that The Beatles could record 8+ tracks per song on Sgt. Pepper when they only had access to 4 track recorders. They would fill up the four track, then get the mix of those tracks just right, then bounce to a single track, freeing up 3 more tracks. This allows up to 10 tracks on a single four track.

Of course, after bouncing, you're stuck with what you have. You cant fix that bounced mix. So you should really bounce tracks only if your system is seriously farting out.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.