Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandongreer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Bear with me while I set this up...
I am working on a new Mac Studio M1, purchased in December 2022. Since I have been on this machine, I have had tons of different issues with a lot of different applications in the Ventura OS, but have squared away most issues by backtracking to Monterey 12.6.3. I operate a 44" Epson SureColor 9000 printer on a daily basis and have been making high quality prints from it through Photoshop from a 2020 iMac(same OS, Monterey 12.6.3) for a little over a year with very little issues. As soon as I switched over to the Mac Studio, I have not been able to make a correct print, there is always a wild color shift, regardless of my settings. The temporary band-aid for this situation currently is me processing the files on the Mac Studio, then Airdropping the file to the iMac for printing. Prints come out perfect from the iMac, but not from the Mac Studio. I have compared setting up the print dialogue from the same exact files from both machines at the same time, checking my settings one by one, and still have an extreme color shift when printing from the Mac Studio. Before I swapped back to Monterey, in Ventura, I was unable to select ColorSync in order to select the correct paper profile. I thought switching to Monterey would resolve this issue, and it did resolve the issue in the print dialogue box, but the prints still come out with the same color shift. I have reinstalled printer drivers, reinstalled paper profiles, updated printer firmware, updated Photoshop, and the problem still persists. Is anyone experiencing these same issues? What am I missing?

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a Canon TS6320 and when I switched over to a mac Studio MI I experienced some glitches, but that is to be expected when you switch systems. Everything worked out except I could not print in color without issues. Everything seemed muted and distorted. I tried deleting and reinstalling printer drivers, downloading ICC profiles etc. I finally called Apple and the tech who assisted me had me delete my printer drivers, Power off, restart in SAFE Mode, then reinstall my drivers. That solved my issue. I am not at all sure this is the same issue as you are describing, but it might make a difference. If memory serves me correctly I might have had to delete and then reinstall the drivers again after exiting SAFE MODE, but I would see if adding the drivers in SAFE MODE fixed the issue before doing this.

Good luck and I hope this helps. This is the kind of thing that drives me up the wall when it happens because the Internet has 1,000 different solutions to try.

Rhobbe

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
I am working on a new Mac Studio M1, purchased in December 2022. Since I have been on this machine, I have had tons of different issues with a lot of different applications in the Ventura OS, but have squared away most issues by backtracking to Monterey 12.6.3. I operate a 44" Epson SureColor 9000 printer on a daily basis and have been making high quality prints from it through Photoshop from a 2020 iMac(same OS, Monterey 12.6.3) for a little over a year with very little issues. As soon as I switched over to the Mac Studio, I have not been able to make a correct print, there is always a wild color shift, regardless of my settings. The temporary band-aid for this situation currently is me processing the files on the Mac Studio, then Airdropping the file to the iMac for printing. Prints come out perfect from the iMac, but not from the Mac Studio. I have compared setting up the print dialogue from the same exact files from both machines at the same time, checking my settings one by one, and still have an extreme color shift when printing from the Mac Studio. Before I swapped back to Monterey, in Ventura, I was unable to select ColorSync in order to select the correct paper profile. I thought switching to Monterey would resolve this issue, and it did resolve the issue in the print dialogue box, but the prints still come out with the same color shift. I have reinstalled printer drivers, reinstalled paper profiles, updated printer firmware, updated Photoshop, and the problem still persists. Is anyone experiencing these same issues? What am I missing?
It seems that I have similar issue with my Mac Studio running Ventura 13.5. My Intel-based MacBook Pro with Ventura 13.5 and same versions of printing SW, LrC & Co, presents correct result!
Considered to rollback to Monterey, but the M1 chip is the suspect here so it probably wouldnt help.
Crazy, I ended also up with having my old Paperbin (Mac Pro 2013) for printing!

Yes, I’m also stucked. Tried to run LtC on Rosetta but that didnt help!

Attached an image. Not sure how well the color shifts are visible due to jpg-compression

Attachments

• IMG_9340.jpg
    IMG_9340.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 89

Rhobbe

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
I have a Canon TS6320 and when I switched over to a mac Studio MI I experienced some glitches, but that is to be expected when you switch systems. Everything worked out except I could not print in color without issues. Everything seemed muted and distorted. I tried deleting and reinstalling printer drivers, downloading ICC profiles etc. I finally called Apple and the tech who assisted me had me delete my printer drivers, Power off, restart in SAFE Mode, then reinstall my drivers. That solved my issue. I am not at all sure this is the same issue as you are describing, but it might make a difference. If memory serves me correctly I might have had to delete and then reinstall the drivers again after exiting SAFE MODE, but I would see if adding the drivers in SAFE MODE fixed the issue before doing this.

Good luck and I hope this helps. This is the kind of thing that drives me up the wall when it happens because the Internet has 1,000 different solutions to try.
Thank you for the hint. Its worth trying to reinstall the drivers in safe mode. Did you get any explanation why installing in safe mode is important?

Rhobbe

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
Thank you for the hint. Its worth trying to reinstall the drivers in safe mode. Did you get any explanation why installing in safe mode is important?
Ps Tried to reinstall driver
1. Deleted the driver
2. Started in safe mode
3. Installed the printer driver (12.65) and added the printer (P900)
4. Made a test print in safe mode - image is OK
5. Rebooted to exit safe mode
6. Made a new test print - image NOT OK

Almost there 🙏 … and there is hope 😵‍💫

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ps Tried to reinstall driver
1. Deleted the driver
2. Started in safe mode
3. Installed the printer driver (12.65) and added the printer (P900)
4. Made a test print in safe mode - image is OK
5. Rebooted to exit safe mode
6. Made a new test print - image NOT OK

Almost there 🙏 … and there is hope 😵‍💫
Safe Mode allows you to run a stripped-down version of macOS to test for software issues. Mac safe mode is also useful for cleaning up your Mac, because it automatically clears system cache.

kuno.aapo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2023
I have a M2 MacStudio and have endless problems with software and printing. I’m printing to an Epson SC-8070.

I made a new profile for my paper and canvas. The first prints looked fine. Then same as the first post I got a bad color shift. Tried everything.

I also noticed it keeps switching to lustre paper. It won’t save my preset. Epson blames Apple. Apple says it’s not the computer. Adobe showed me how I can save my preset through the App I’m using which is InDesign.

If I print with Epson Print Layout the color looks better, but annoying to use, compared to InDesign.

My old iMac although slow printing without issues! I also have a problem with the printer not warning if the cartridge is finished.

Even my color charts don’t match the colour on screen showing a massive shift. I’m ready to return it to Apple!

kuno.aapo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2023
I have wasted a lot of test prints to find the answer to my problem.

First of all when I print through any Adobe App the print dialogue box doesn’t let me save a preset that works. It switches back to the default of Lustre Paper! When that happens the color mode activates when it should be off, since I’m using my own profile! Finally my color is as it should be. But I have to check every time because the preset only saves in the App. Which is useless!

Calling Epson support I was told they tested it and couldn’t find the same problem with saving a preset! Did they test it on a Mac Studio M2? No!

Attachments

• OFF NO COLOR MANAGEMENT.png
    OFF NO COLOR MANAGEMENT.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 48

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have wasted a lot of test prints to find the answer to my problem.

First of all when I print through any Adobe App the print dialogue box doesn’t let me save a preset that works. It switches back to the default of Lustre Paper! When that happens the color mode activates when it should be off, since I’m using my own profile! Finally my color is as it should be. But I have to check every time because the preset only saves in the App. Which is useless!

Calling Epson support I was told they tested it and couldn’t find the same problem with saving a preset! Did they test it on a Mac Studio M2? No!
Printer makers are useless when it comes to addressing your problem. They only want to sell you another printer. When I was having printer driver issues I went to the Canon website and called a number they had there for help. Turns out the site was hacked and the guy was trying to sell me an expensive fix! I shut the page and the computer off. My experience was validated the next day with a call to Canon. They were aware they were hacked, but still did nothing to help me with my issue.

Reactions: kuno.aapo

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
It seems that I have similar issue with my Mac Studio running Ventura 13.5. My Intel-based MacBook Pro with Ventura 13.5 and same versions of printing SW, LrC & Co, presents correct result!
Considered to rollback to Monterey, but the M1 chip is the suspect here so it probably wouldnt help.
Crazy, I ended also up with having my old Paperbin (Mac Pro 2013) for printing!

Yes, I’m also stucked. Tried to run LtC on Rosetta but that didnt help!

Attached an image. Not sure how well the color shifts are visible due to jpg-compression
Stange... for me the print of the M1 look MUCH better. Look at the details of the chicken, look at the black areas. The colos of the Intel version look absolutely washed out with no real blacks.

Is this "real" CMYK? And you have a printer with 4 color tanks? If you look at the color stripes on the bottom, no CMYK color looks really correct on both prints. Most obvious with magenta.

kuno.aapo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2023
Printer makers are useless when it comes to addressing your problem. They only want to sell you another printer.

I was actually thinking about that today. It looks like a ploy by Epson to sell more ink and paper! Apple has changed the look of the print dialogue box, so it’s hard to see what the settings are. You need to expand everything.

The Epson printer driver hasn’t been updated for the Mac Studio silicon chip, in particular the M2.

I can see people getting so frustrated they will either buy a new printer, or return their computer!

When the settings keep changing to the default, it also turns back the color mode to RGB! It should be off, if you’re using a color profile!

On the phone to Adobe for the 5th time and although they can save a preset in InDesign, it doesn’t fix the paper and color mode settings. He also agreed it was the Epson printer driver causing issues.

Epson Print Layout app hasn’t been updated for some years and not supported anymore. Ok if you just want to print a full size image. But not so good if it’s a page layout from InDesign. It will alter the size and put a border!

FIX YOUR DRIVERS EPSON! 12.62 is already out of date and the new OS Sonoma is already in beta testing. Same issue there, I have tried it already!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
M1 iMacs running 13.5) using Epson P900 photo printers...and yes, the driver is weird in that presets don't stick as expected. Some presets stick when set via the defaults via the CUPS interface....while some had to be set via command line.

Hard to say if it is Apple or Epson...but both have recent changes...so I blame both. Sadly, it is a bit of a learning curve to set option defaults via command line (it should not be this hard), but it does work...so it is a software/preferenece problem, not a printer/hardware problem.

Examples of lpadmin default options being set on an Epson P900:
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_QuaLevel=1
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_Bi_D=1
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_FDet=0
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_Mobr=15
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_PPrv=0
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_PrntMode=0
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_APri=2
[user@computer] ~ % lpadmin -p [printer name] -o EPIJ_Qual=33

Prints look great, maybe better than ever (on older Macs and Epson 3880s). Hopefully....Apple and Epson will get their sh@t sorted out.

kuno.aapo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2023
Some presets stick when set via the defaults via the CUPS interface....while some had to be set via command line.

Hard to say if it is Apple or Epson...but both have recent changes...so I blame both.

Apple changed their hardware and software and Epson are slow to fix their drivers. That’s how I see it.

I have found if you don’t try to use a preset and select your paper profile and make sure color mode is off, everything prints fine!

If you close the file and come back it hasn’t changed! If you try to set a preset, it defaults to lustre paper and turns color mode on. Then the color distorts, if you have a ICC profile!

Maybe they should just turn off the preset, since it’s buggy!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
How did the OP install Ventura-compatible drivers for that printer? I don't see them on the Epson website.

EDIT: Never mind! I see the installer download now. I downloaded it and looking at the contents of the installer the newest file in there is dated December 22, 2021. How can that be updated for Ventura? Does the installer pull files from the internet?

Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
How did the OP install Ventura-compatible drivers for that printer? I don't see them on the Epson website.

EDIT: Never mind! I see the installer download now. I downloaded it and looking at the contents of the installer the newest file in there is dated December 22, 2021. How can that be updated for Ventura? Does the installer pull files from the internet?
It's tricky.

Often there is no change when Apple updates OSes...pretty sure the CUPS version is exactly the same for 12 and 13. A new OS does not always require a new driver; sometimes it does, but other times...there have been mid-OS updates that have broken some printer/driver/behavior.

So...an older driver does not mean an out-of-date driver, except when it does. o_O

Hanknj1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2022
I just got off the phone with an Epson tech. My colors are all off with a Mac Studio and the P6000. I was blaming the printer driver but the Epson tech had me do a print via Preview, going around Photoshop, and...the print came out perfectly so it's Photoshop that is not communicating properly with the silicon cpu, not the printer driver. He said the ball is in Adobe's court, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.