Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calhobbes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Cambridge, MA
I cannot print from my 12" PB (w/ 10.3.6). When I select Print from the file menu, press command p, or select print from a toolbar, either nothing happens or the application I'm in crashes. I've seen this in Safari, IE, Word, TextEdit, and Mail. The print dialog never appears.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Sounds like problems with your printer driver. Have you set up a printer in the Printer Setup Utility? How did you install your drivers? What printer/model?

calhobbes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Cambridge, MA
mkrishnan said:
Did it work before you upgraded to 10.3.6, or ever work?

It worked before 10.3.6. The printer is an HP Dekjet 5740 and I reinstalled the driver on the computer to which it is connected.

Another thing I noticed was while I was away these past few days (I apologize for not replying sooner...I appreciate the quick replies) and therefore not connected to the printer, the print dialog appears when choosing print from the file menu.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
calhobbes said:
It worked before 10.3.6. The printer is an HP Dekjet 5740 and I reinstalled the driver on the computer to which it is connected.

Another thing I noticed was while I was away these past few days (I apologize for not replying sooner...I appreciate the quick replies) and therefore not connected to the printer, the print dialog appears when choosing print from the file menu.
What did you notice while you were away "these past few days"?

calhobbes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Cambridge, MA
MisterMe said:
What did you notice while you were away "these past few days"?

That when I tried to print, the print dialog appeared. This had not been happening when I was home and tried printing. At home, I use a shared printer that's connected to an iMac. While away, I was not connected to my home network nor shared printer, and the print dialog appeared when trying to print.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
calhobbes said:
That when I tried to print, the print dialog appeared. This had not been happening when I was home and tried printing. At home, I use a shared printer that's connected to an iMac. While away, I was not connected to my home network nor shared printer, and the print dialog appeared when trying to print.
I am confused about the point you are trying to make. Irrespective of your connection or printer, the print dialog box is supposed to appear when you print a file. If it does not, then you have a problem.

calhobbes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Cambridge, MA
MisterMe said:
I am confused about the point you are trying to make. Irrespective of your connection or printer, the print dialog box is supposed to appear when you print a file. If it does not, then you have a problem.

Sorry for the confusion. When at home on my home network, I print from my PB to a shared printer that's connected to an iMac. However, I no longer get the print dialog to appear when I go to print. When I was recently off the home network and tried to print, the print dialog appeared without a problem. So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced issues when trying to print to a shared printer under 10.3.6,

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
calhobbes said:

I noticed after a 10.3.6 update, that my Epson 2200 did not see the "photo" ink. Deleting and reinstalling fixed the problem (though with the Epson 2200 I had to set up two different printers- one for the "photo" ink and the other for the "matte" ink).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
calhobbes said:
Sorry for the confusion. When at home on my home network, I print from my PB to a shared printer that's connected to an iMac. However, I no longer get the print dialog to appear when I go to print. When I was recently off the home network and tried to print, the print dialog appeared without a problem. So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced issues when trying to print to a shared printer under 10.3.6,
As I said in my previous post, your connection to your printer should have no bearing on whether or not the print dialog box appears. When you select File > Print..., the dialog should appear, period. You can select any of your installed printers from that dialog box. Therefore, a problem with one printer should mean nothing. However, it is not at all clear to me that your printer is set-up. I would suggest running Printer Setup Utility to set-up your printer again. Delete the old installation and create a new one. Another thing that I suggest is to go to VersionTracker and find Print Center Repair. It is designed to fix numerous problems with printer installations.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
calhobbes said:
Do the printer drivers for the shared printer need to be installed on the 'client' computer?
Yes - that's how it works in Windows, and my experiments with shared printers also suggest that this is the case on Mac OS X.

pomato

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2004
Similar Printer Problem

From what I can understand of the previous poster's problem, I am having a somewhat similar problem that I can't seem to fix. I have never been able to get my powerbook to print. I have tried two different printers, an HP deskjet 880i and a brand new Canon Pixma 3000 printer. I have installed and reinstalled the drivers multiple times. I know that the drivers are installed properly because all of the test print jobs print just fine. The computer and the printer are communicating.

The problem is that no matter the application (Safari, Text Edit, Word...) I never get a printer dialogue box. As soon as I select print from the file menu the application quits. I am not sharing a printer with anyone, and it happened both before and after I upgraded to 10.3.6

I have done everything I can think of in the printer utility. I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Can anyone be of any help... I've had my powerbook since May and it has never printed anything. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.