Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I have installed Win 10 through VirtualBox on my MBP (late 2011, 13', i5, 16Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD).

I initially installed Win 10, so that I could use Word & Excel, which I need to use on a regular basis for work. Later I found Office for Mac 2016 and I am currently using that without any problems. (currently using Yosemite)

My office has a Xerox Workcenter 5020. I have researched on the net that there is no compatible driver for it to be used by my MBP OS X (running Yosemite).

But apparently, Win 10 can print to the Xerox 5020 without any driver.

To test, I connected my MBP to the Xerox. OS X (Yosemite) shows the printer connected, but also says that there is no driver and thus OS X cannot print to it.

When I run Win 10 (thru VM) it does not show any printer connected. I have tried to play around in the settings & ports but cannot seem to get the VM to recognise any attached printer.

I need help in printing from Win 10 (thru VM) specifically for the Xerox 5020. It would be amazing if I could just print to Xerox 5020 direct from OS X (Yosemite), but since that is not possible, seeking help to print from Win 10 (VM) to Xerox 5020.

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

Still no progress on the above problem.

I wanted to know, how can I get Win 10 (running thru VirtualBox) to recognise any of the USB ports?

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Have you tried running Windows in Boot Camp?

Looks like that printer has Linux drivers. If you have an IT person at work, maybe they could set you up for that. Or maybe someone here could advise how realistic that option is.

Reactions: MBP_187

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Have you tried running Windows in Boot Camp?

Looks like that printer has Linux drivers. If you have an IT person at work, maybe they could set you up for that. Or maybe someone here could advise how realistic that option is.

Thanks for your reply Sanpete.

No I have not tried it thru Bootcamp, since I never installed Bootcamp.

My Windows needs are limited and I since I am using 'Office for Mac' I hardly need to use Windows (thru VM) much.

IT person at work not much help, Im the only person at office using a MBP.

The only reason I asked if I can I print from Windows 10 is because it is not supported by Yosemite.

Thank you.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Running Windows in Boot Camp isn't a virtual machine, it's a more direct installation of Windows, so it may work better with your printer or with the Windows drivers for it.

But I'm not clear whether you've tried the Windows driver for the printer yet with your current VM. Have you done that?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Is the VM network bridged? I have never had an issue printing due to it being a VM. It's usually network related. By bridging the VM network, you eliminate any NAT and firewall issues.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Running Windows in Boot Camp isn't a virtual machine, it's a more direct installation of Windows, so it may work better with your printer or with the Windows drivers for it.

But I'm not clear whether you've tried the Windows driver for the printer yet with your current VM. Have you done that?

Thank you for the reply Sanpete.

Xerox website says no driver is required for this machine (workcenter 2050) for Win 10.

I do not want to install Bootcamp just for using the printer. I will try some of the other solutions provided by the Forum.

Thank you.
[doublepost=1492239598][/doublepost]
Is the VM network bridged? I have never had an issue printing due to it being a VM. It's usually network related. By bridging the VM network, you eliminate any NAT and firewall issues.

Thank you for this suggestion belvdr.

How may I bridge the VM network?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.