Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcolton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Vermont
After I installed Panther, when I went to print to my Deskjet 952C, there was no feature that allowed me to control ink control (choosing betwen color and black and white, and draft, regular and high quality printing). I have the latest drivers. Anybody have any idea on how to remedy that situation?

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
try?

Did you try deleting the printer then manually installing it, as in telling OS X the model number, etc?

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Same problem with my 990Cse. I've lost some of my options (print quality, two-sided printing). It seems that I've just got generic options. I tried grabbing the latest driver from HP and using that, but it didn't seem to do anything different. I'm stuck with the default options that Apple provides with "Generic printer".

Anyone get better than that?

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Eek, I have a 952c.

Is Apple still using CUPS? Is a fix going to be out soon? Is there a God? My guess is a "yes" to the first two questions.
Yes. I don't know. Yes. ;)

And there's always hoping for the second.

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Originally posted by MacBandit
Have you tried going to Print Center deleting the printer listed and then re-adding it?
The problem is that it's a shared printer, which I'm accessing via Airport from a machine running Jag. The different computers might be a problem... ?

Just for kicks, I did delete the printer. It showed up again automagically seconds later. I tried to change the printer description or model, etc., but they're grayed out. Says it's using driver 2.2.1, but that's questionable.

The solution might be to upgrade the desktop machine, but that's going to wait a few days...

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
There's a new driver version and fixing permissions solves the problem.
1. I downloaded the latest drivers from HP, installed them, but since the machine is a networked machine, and since my mac automagically finds the printer, it doesn't let me change drivers... Am I missing something?

2. Fix permissions: where? I've got the how, but... where?

3. Don't you sleep?

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by LuckyJack
1. I downloaded the latest drivers from HP, installed them, but since the machine is a networked machine, and since my mac automagically finds the printer, it doesn't let me change drivers... Am I missing something?

Yeah, do this on the machine that the printer is physically hooked up to :)

2. Fix permissions: where? I've got the how, but... where?

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

3. Don't you sleep?

I just got up!

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
I know how to change the permissions, but I meant where do the permissions need to be fixed... if I thought it would help, I'd go in and chmod 777 the whole darned disk. Of course that would cause other problems...

The solution might be to upgrade the desktop machine to Panther and see if that takes care of it.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
I know how to change the permissions, but I meant where do the permissions need to be fixed... if I thought it would help, I'd go in and chmod 777 the whole darned disk. Of course that would cause other problems...

Go into Disk Utility and go to First Aid and click "Repair Permissions".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.