Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magnus205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2001
My wife works at a privacy software company called Intelytics. They produce a really great privacy s/w called Personal Sentinel. It stops cookies and web bugs from residing on your system and transmitting your personal information to third parties. It also allows you to approve which cookies are "harmless" and which are ad cookies.

Web bugs are 1 square pixel transparent gifs which can monitor your surfing behavior and transmit this information to third parties. Most sites which use banners do this without even knowing because the banner creators are monitoring you subversively.

One of the worst sites for web bugs is MSNBC, who once launched over 100+ bugs for one article!

The support folks there at Intelytics are keen on producing their Personal Sentinel for Mac, but they need to know that there's a need for their s/w.

Just because you're not on a PC doesn't mean that your privacy isn't being violated! Send an e-mail to support@intelytics.com and request a Mac version!

magnus205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2001
Oh yeah. Did I mention that it stops around 95% of those incredibly annoying pop-up ads? That should be enough to mobilize the troops right there!

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the info

Boy, thanks for the info

I never knew this..

and im on my PC now..

Im worried who the hell is watching me

Im going to find a copy of sentinel right now

Cheers

Adrian

magnus205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2001
Not ads; web bugs!

Ads in themselves aren't the issue, it's the technology behind the ads.

If you built your own program to stop this, I'm sure the people at Intelytics have a job for you.

[Edited by magnus205 on 09-07-2001 at 11:24 AM]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.