Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kubilaydem

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Hi !

I have a new ipad. My goal is use it with my personel home cloud. So i connected a ssd to my router. Installed webdav extensions to router. And done ! I can view and edit my files on pc like i directly connected ssd to my pc usb.

But on iPad i have problem with webdav. I cant add webdav to iPad Os file manager. So i downloaded some third party file manager and can use webdav. Then i added third party file manager to iPad Os file manager. So now i can see files inside router's ssd via webdav. But i cant edit it. Word, Excel etc gives message "read only".

How can i solve this problem? Can i use usb stick to carry my files and edit directly from usb? Or should i use icloud drive? I dont want use some cloud services.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
But on iPad i have problem with webdav. I cant add webdav to iPad Os file manager. So i downloaded some third party file manager and can use webdav. Then i added third party file manager to iPad Os file manager. So now i can see files inside router's ssd via webdav. But i cant edit it. Word, Excel etc gives message "read only".
Which 3rd party file manager?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I know you expressly don’t want to use services, but man, iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive all do this for free.

I use an iPad app called Textastic and can edit both ways on same WiFi, but one, it is a text editor, two, I’m doing it to and from Mac. It is supported with Windows, but not sure it is any value, for what you need. It is free.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
webdav support has never worked properly on iPads in my experience, and we tried, and tried, and tried, a LOT (with Apple's direct help on several occasions). It just *never worked* for more than a few weeks at a time, when it worked at all. Ditto with the whole "Mac OS X Server Account" function, which was supposed to allow access to shared resources that way. It might work at first, but give it a week or three and you would get authentication failures, even when the server credentials were correct and pushed through an MDM. It's all part of Apple's new slogan "Apple, it Just Doesn't Work." I think, fundamentally, Apple just doesn't care at all if you don't want to do it through iCloud. That's not really a huge problem on the personal level, but it IS a huge problem if you want to do things at the soho or educational level with shared devices. Anyway, that's probably not the answer you are looking for, but if I were you I would give up trying to access your files from your iThings any way but through iCloud (if you want the integration to be excellent) or Dropbox or a similar service if you don't mind it being a bit more of a manual process. The only type of "data access" I've been able to reliably get working on iThings *outside* of Apple's ecosystem is via app-specific and streaming services. For example VLC player and Stream to Me will pick up UPNP servers (or even allow custom UPNP servers over the net - I run my own steaming music server this way so I can play any of my music anywhere I wish) and YAC reader works for Comics.

If you do find a way to easily and reliably setup a service that allows you to access your network resources via your iPad in any sort of intuitive way the please stop back and let us know. I'm sure many of us here would be interested!

kubilaydem

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Hi thanks for answers !

I found a solution. Installed a file manager called "FileBrowser Go". I can connect my routers ssd via webdav with it. And also i can view / edit files with no need copy to device file manager. But the app copy file to cache, so i need to purge cache after a while. But i can acsess, edit and it will be replaced with original file automatically !

Only downside : On iPad's file manager i can acsess files only if Filebrowser Go open on background. And also i cant edit files if Filebrowser Go didnt cached this file via its own app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.