Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhunsaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
At work we have an office of 5 Windows computers, all running Vista except 1 which is running XP. We also have a Mac Mini running OS 10.6. We are using the Mac Mini as a Shared Drive between all the computers so much of our daily file are located there on the Mac Mini so that we can swap back and forth.

I have map the Mac Mini Shared Folder to the Windows Machine just using Map Network Drive. Everything works great except for the machine running XP. Now what happens is when ever they move a file from one folder to another on the map network drive the permissions are stripped from the file. The owner and group settings of the file are not touched but the privileges are set to 000 basically.

Here is a brief example.

Mac Mini is mapped to the Z drive on the Windows XP machine.
I want to move file "example.txt" from Z:folder1 to Z:folder2 when I do and I look at the Mac Mini through terminal the permissions are set to
---------- 1 Owner Group ...
The owner is the same and the group but the permission were stripped. Please let me know if you know anything about what is going on and how to stop it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.