Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Opening my new device less than 30 mins ago.

Love it, along with the Pencil and Keyboard Folio.

One thing I’m not liking...

Can anyone else activate the split screen keyboard? I knew it was never available for the 12.9”. It was something I always used, to the point it was a factor of me choosing the 11” over the 12.9”.

Reactions: TheBing1980

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
This is honestly just...terrible for me. I was really excited for the new iPad Pro, but no smart covers (only folio), unoptimized apps and now I can’t even use split keyboard when that’s THE way I type with my iPad when in tablet mode most of the time, I’m not terribly excited to upgrade. Might just hold onto my 10.5 for awhile

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I used the feature frequently, to the point I’m going to have to adjust the way I use my iPad now.

My preference would have been to keep the keyboard as it was, without adding the extra keys at each side, keeping the split screen feature available.
I hate the keys on each side. Making so many errors now.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I didn’t think of there being a 3rd party keyboard that offers this functionality. I’d prefer to use the iOS keyboard but if there is one that would be a workaround at least.

I’ll need to have a look.

trunkster5

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018
You can enable zoom mode which allows you to do split keyboard. I hate zoom mode but had to try. It is SO much nicer to be able to use the split keyboard for quick typing. It really puzzles me why they won't allow it in standard mode.

Reactions: CjonesHouston

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
You can enable zoom mode which allows you to do split keyboard. I hate zoom mode but had to try. It is SO much nicer to be able to use the split keyboard for quick typing. It really puzzles me why they won't allow it in standard mode.

I don’t think you can display zoom on the 11”. You can on the 12” I know, but it also makes the keyboard look weird. ;)

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I don’t think you can display zoom on the 11”. You can on the 12” I know, but it also makes the keyboard look weird. ;)

Weird (both that there's Display Zoom on the iPad and that it's only on the 12.9). I guess that makes sense though - the 12.9 with Display Zoom probably scales to the UI of the 9.7 or 10.5 since they're the same aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.