Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleXDR6900xt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Hi all,

This is my first time posting for an advice. Currently, I’m using 2019 iMac 5k connected with pro display xdr.

luckily I was able to get a RX 6900xt. I have also downloaded 11.4 beta for mac os.

my question is, what would be the best way to use RX 6900xt to connect with iMac and pro display xdr?

I could’ve got the razer core x but, razer core x only has one thunderbolt 3. So if I connect it to iMac, I cannot connect it to the display.

Thank you,
DJ

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
This is my first time posting for an advice. Currently, I’m using 2019 iMac 5k connected with pro display xdr.

luckily I was able to get a RX 6900xt. I have also downloaded 11.4 beta for mac os.

my question is, what would be the best way to use RX 6900xt to connect with iMac and pro display xdr?

I could’ve got the razer core x but, razer core x only has one thunderbolt 3. So if I connect it to iMac, I cannot connect it to the display.
There is no eGPU that connects the GPU to a Thunderbolt port except the Blackmagic eGPU or the Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5500 XT or 5700.

If you try a Thunderbolt expansion box that has two Thunderbolt ports, connecting the XDR to a Thunderbolt port just connects the display to the GPU of the iMac.

If you got a RX 6900 XT with a USB-C port then just use that. If DSC works, then 6K60 should be possible with USB 2.0. If DSC doesn't work, then complain to Apple.

If you have a RX 6900 XT without USB-C, then there are methods to convert DisplayPort + USB 2.0 to USB-C. Since 6K60 with DSC only require HBR2 link rate, they may actually work. The simplest method is a bidirectional USB-C to DisplayPort cable but this method doesn't include USB so USB features of the XDR will not be usable (brightness control, presets, USB ports, etc.). The next simplest method is a Belkin Charge and Sync cable which has two USB 2.0 connectors for power and USB 2.0 to the display. https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-...sb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127

AppleXDR6900xt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
There is no eGPU that connects the GPU to a Thunderbolt port except the Blackmagic eGPU or the Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5500 XT or 5700.

If you try a Thunderbolt expansion box that has two Thunderbolt ports, connecting the XDR to a Thunderbolt port just connects the display to the GPU of the iMac.

If you got a RX 6900 XT with a USB-C port then just use that. If DSC works, then 6K60 should be possible with USB 2.0. If DSC doesn't work, then complain to Apple.

If you have a RX 6900 XT without USB-C, then there are methods to convert DisplayPort + USB 2.0 to USB-C. Since 6K60 with DSC only require HBR2 link rate, they may actually work. The simplest method is a bidirectional USB-C to DisplayPort cable but this method doesn't include USB so USB features of the XDR will not be usable (brightness control, presets, USB ports, etc.). The next simplest method is a Belkin Charge and Sync cable which has two USB 2.0 connectors for power and USB 2.0 to the display. https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-...sb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127
Thank you for your knowledge.

I was wondering that since imac has two TB3 so, what if we connect pro display xdr to the iMac and egpu(6900xt) to the iMac? Will this method allows to control the brightness?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I was wondering that since imac has two TB3 so, what if we connect pro display xdr to the iMac and egpu(6900xt) to the iMac? Will this method allows to control the brightness?
But then the XDR is being driven by the GPU of the iMac instead of the faster 6900 XT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.