Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'm still gathering my thoughts for my post, but on day one of waking up and using the XDR I am happy with it.

Typical higher end iBuyPower gaming rig, Z370-A motherboard, Intel 8-core CPU all cores locked at 4.9 GHz, Zotac Gaming RTX 2080 Ti (has maybe 3x DP 1.4, 1x HDMI, 1x USB-C (VirtualLink). 32GB RAM
Thanks for this, I've added an Unofficial PC configuration table to the OP of this thread. Would you please provide the Windows version and CPU model? I'll fill this in.

Had this display for about a month and am very satisfied.
Thanks for sharing. What is the mac hardware configuration you're using? Did you opt for the matte finish? Also, are you using the Pro stand or a VESA? Any comments on that choice?

I also managed to get a substantial discount on it, which made it even more worth it.
Since mine is for my business, I was able to achieve some discount pricing via my Apple Business account and using a financial instrument that offers cash back. While perhaps sensitive, I think this topic of how to reduce the price of the monitor is worth tracking in this thread, since most people feel the potential value to them is severely inhibited by price.

I didn’t opt for the stand and went for an arm instead, not sure if i made the right choice there, but it certainly was a bit under half the price of the Pro Stand.
I also think this is worth keeping track of, which is people who get the Pro Stand versus the VESA adapter and their satisfaction with each.

Your setup looks nice, what is the dial on the underside left part of the desk? Does your webcam fit securely on top of the Pro?

I'm considering getting an extra arm just to hold my webcam since I kind of don't want to put anything on the display.

I'm going to hold off on a photo of my setup until I replace my desk. It is now the weakest part of my workstation. :p

Last edited:

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
As far as discounts go, your employer might offer a discount on Apple products as one of its perks. Also, Apple Card will give you 3% (and sometimes 6%) back. Writing it off as a business expense might be an option as well.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I'm still gathering my thoughts for my post, but on day one of waking up and using the XDR I am happy with it.

Thanks for this, I've added an Unofficial PC configuration table to the OP of this thread. Would you please provide the Windows version and CPU model? I'll fill this in.

Thanks for sharing. What is the mac hardware configuration you're using? Did you opt for the matte finish? Also, are you using the Pro stand or a VESA? Any comments on that choice?

Since mine is for my business, I was able to achieve some discount pricing via my Apple Business account and using a financial instrument that offers cash back. While perhaps sensitive, I think this topic of how to reduce the price of the monitor is worth tracking in this thread, since most people feel the potential value to them is severely inhibited by price.

I also think this is worth keeping track of, which is people who get the Pro Stand versus the VESA adapter and their satisfaction with each.

Your setup looks nice, what is the dial on the underside left part of the desk? Does your webcam fit securely on top of the Pro?

I'm considering getting an extra arm just to hold my webcam since I kind of don't want to put anything on the display.

I'm going to hold off on a photo of my setup until I replace my desk. It is now the weakest part of my workstation. :p

The dial on the underside of my desk is the volume knob for my speakers, it was a nice out of the way place to put it that still makes it accessible. The webcam fits well on the monitor, but i do agree it does kinda detract from the look a little, still experimenting with the best setup for it.

Reactions: - rob -

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I've been pretty happy with the Logitech 4K camera made for this monitor. I ordered it a couple of months ago when Apple said it was going to take 8+ weeks to ship and it shipped the next day. Been using it non-stop since before I had the XDR (stickied to my LG5K) all day with WebEx and it's been flawless.

I've also been tossing around the idea of getting a capture device, like Elgato's capture stick and using a DSLR as my webcam. That seems so fiddly though.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I've been pretty happy with the Logitech 4K camera made for this monitor.
I saw that and thought about doing it so it would have this nice sleek look and mount without fuss.

However, I have the Logitech C920s already and I like to have the camera at an angle from the corner of the monitor so there is some perspective to my shot. You know, to get my good side. :)

The 920 has a mounting point, so I'm going to try out a second suspension-scissor arm for the desk, where I already have one on the left side for the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+.

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I saw that and thought about doing it so it would have this nice sleek look and mount without fuss.

However, I have the Logitech C920s already and I like to have the camera at an angle from the corner of the monitor so there is some perspective to my shot. You know, to get my good side. :)

The 920 has a mounting point, so I'm going to try out a second suspension-scissor arm for the desk, where I already have one on the left side for the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+.
I understand. :) I just verified the monitor only has the magnets to mount the camera in the middle.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I already have the Logitech 4K Brio which is what the 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam is based on but without extra sensors that is meant for Windows Hello.

I'm hoping to find a magnetic attachment so I can reuse my Logitech Brio without having to purchase the Apple version just for the magnetic mount.

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I already have the Logitech 4K Brio which is what the 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam is based on but without extra sensors that is meant for Windows Hello.

I'm hoping to find a magnetic attachment so I can reuse my Logitech Brio without having to purchase the Apple version just for the magnetic mount.
I understand. The Brio is basically the same camera with a different mount best I can tell.

For what it's worth, there's a few things about their XDR version of the camera which I haven't seen mentioned before.

* It "snaps" into place so that it's perfectly centered on the monitor with some pretty strong magnets. It appears they've done something with multiple magnets into the top of the monitor, perhaps with opposing poles to create a snap effect.

* It can turn and tilt on its magnetic stand a LOT! And the action of turning and tilting has a nice, smooth resistance to it that makes it easy to get just right. There's no wiggle, you set it to a position and it just stays there.

* It has a perfect length cord to plug into the XDR that comes out of the back of the camera at a right angle.

It's a really, really nice camera. It complements the monitor perfectly.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I understand. The Brio is basically the same camera with a different mount best I can tell.

For what it's worth, there's a few things about their XDR version of the camera which I haven't seen mentioned before.

* It "snaps" into place so that it's perfectly centered on the monitor with some pretty strong magnets. It appears they've done something with multiple magnets into the top of the monitor, perhaps with opposing poles to create a snap effect.

* It can turn and tilt on its magnetic stand a LOT! And the action of turning and tilting has a nice, smooth resistance to it that makes it easy to get just right. There's no wiggle, you set it to a position and it just stays there.

* It has a perfect length cord to plug into the XDR that comes out of the back of the camera at a right angle.

It's a really, really nice camera. It complements the monitor perfectly.

Okay great to know further information on the Apple version. I'll see if I want to invest in another 4K webcam down the road. Or I could probably even sell this for higher than retail seeing the demand for webcams right now. :)

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Does anyone know if XDR will work with another EGPU besides Blackmagic?

Yep.

Reactions: bbchucks

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004

Went for the standard finish, not the matte. Don't find it "glossy" at all, no reflection, but that could also be because it's not placed in a location where there would be a lot of reflection anyway.

Yes, using the pro stand and like it a lot, very sturdy, no wobble or uneven-ness, just feels solid. Raising and lowering the screen is very smooth and stable.

Am using the screen with a 16-inch MacBook Pro in clamshell mode.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Was anyone able to buy in store?

Went for the standard finish, not the matte. Don't find it "glossy" at all, no reflection, but that could also be because it's not placed in a location where there would be a lot of reflection anyway.

Yes, using the pro stand and like it a lot, very sturdy, no wobble or uneven-ness, just feels solid. Raising and lowering the screen is very smooth and stable.

Am using the screen with a 16-inch MacBook Pro in clamshell mode.

How is the 16-inch running the screen? Quiet?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Was anyone able to buy in store?

I am running mine with the same machine, it is not quiet when I have the lid opened (AMD Radeon 5500M goes up to 18W immediately), however, in clamshell it’s not that bad. Provided that the all the ARM Mac’s can drive the XDR with the better GPU’s coming, ill be jumping down to a smaller notebook without a dGPU next time.

Reactions: nikster0029

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I am running mine with the same machine, it is not quiet when I have the lid opened (AMD Radeon 5500M goes up to 18W immediately), however, in clamshell it’s not that bad. Provided that the all the ARM Mac’s can drive the XDR with the better GPU’s coming, ill be jumping down to a smaller notebook without a dGPU next time.
Exactly this. I find the GPU possibilities one of the most interesting parts of the ARM transition.

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004

Yes, for the most part.

In normal usage, temperatures hover around late 50s / early 60s celsius.
Fans hover around 1,500-1,800 rpm. Can't hear them.

Fans only rev up when I expect them to e.g. when doing encoding or other processor-intensive work.
Also, the fans are permanently on when I boot into Windows using Bootcamp. Can't change that.
Don't tend to hear the fans if I use a virtual machine within MacOS, though do hear the fans briefly during the installation of a virtual machine.

I haven't bothered with anything to prevent turbo boost on the CPU, which I hear can reduce the fans revving up, as I haven't found it necessary, they just haven't been a bother to me yet.

Actual performance of the screen is flawless, responsive, "buttery", no problems with the 16-inch actually running on the big screen. The screen can also charge the laptop no problem.

Reactions: nikster0029

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, for the most part.

In normal usage, temperatures hover around late 50s / early 60s celsius.
Fans hover around 1,500-1,800 rpm. Can't hear them.

Fans only rev up when I expect them to e.g. when doing encoding or other processor-intensive work.
Also, the fans are permanently on when I boot into Windows using Bootcamp. Can't change that.
Don't tend to hear the fans if I use a virtual machine within MacOS, though do hear the fans briefly during the installation of a virtual machine.

I haven't bothered with anything to prevent turbo boost on the CPU, which I hear can reduce the fans revving up, as I haven't found it necessary, they just haven't been a bother to me yet.

Actual performance of the screen is flawless, responsive, "buttery", no problems with the 16-inch actually running on the big screen. The screen can also charge the laptop no problem.

Thank you. Going to order one soon then. Wish it had speakers

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
Thank you. Going to order one soon then. Wish it had speakers

I have a Bose Revolve+ Soundlink which I position behind the screen for sound. The speaker is actually at the bottom of the Soundlink so it comes through to me sitting in front of the screen like my previous iMac sound used to. It plugs in via USB A (with adapter) into the back of the screen and keeps fully charged that way. You can also use it via Bluetooth wirelessly if you want. Works for me, but I'm no audiophile and was just looking for decent-ish sound. See attached pics for my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 1,081

kubaw

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Is there any lucky MacBook Air 2020 user who could share his experience with XDR? I wonder if this machine is capable to run 6K smoothly or has issues like first 5K iMacs back in 2015.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I have a Bose Revolve+ Soundlink which I position behind the screen for sound. The speaker is actually at the bottom of the Soundlink so it comes through to me sitting in front of the screen like my previous iMac sound used to. It plugs in via USB A (with adapter) into the back of the screen and keeps fully charged that way. You can also use it via Bluetooth wirelessly if you want. Works for me, but I'm no audiophile and was just looking for decent-ish sound. See attached pics for my setup.

Cool! Going to run my setup like that as well. Thanks for the images.

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So, after a few days, the monitor is just amazing.

Firmware is updated, had to unplug the display, then uncheck and check the whole automatic update settings in preferences, then it finally did the accessory update notification. now I'm on the 3.x firmware version. Windows will now boot up with the display consistently without issues.

Also, installed the BootCamp software and can now configure the display brightness. Again, this is a Windows 10 PC, not a Mac. Via USB-C.

Annotation 2020-07-02 153616.png

Below is Doom Eternal, 4K, with HDR - and it looks really freaking incredible. I don't notice any tearing at all with V-Sync OFF. Also plays just fine at 6K with 60+ FPS, no issues there either.

C0FD9494-6675-4078-8BA7-954DB40A4507_1_105_c.jpeg

Summary, the display is great for PC gaming and incredible for Mac Pro use as well.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Is there any lucky MacBook Air 2020 user who could share his experience with XDR? I wonder if this machine is capable to run 6K smoothly or has issues like first 5K iMacs back in 2015.
I added your request to OP. If anyone has other specific experience reports, (sort of casual reviews of system configs with XDR that are not already ITT), please post and I’ll add them.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It has been a few days now since I received and set up my XDR, so I wanted to share my experience so far:

Existing System Configuration
My existing setup is a 2018 Mac Mini, 3.2 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7 with an after-market upgrade 32 GB RAM.

I use the Blackmagic Radeon 580 eGPU and have been using the Dell P2715Q since May 2017.

My primary use case is professional software development and design. I often spend much of the day staring at lines of code.

Previous to getting the mini, I used the 2018 MBA with the eGPU, which I continue to use as a portable.

XDR Model and Stand Choice
After WWDC failed to deliver my pipe-dream surprise announcement of a mid-market Apple display, I decided to buy the XDR Pro Display with Nano-Texture and the Pro Stand.

Prior to purchase, I had not seen the XDR in person, because I try to spend as little time in Apple Stores as possible and because I had not seriously considered the XDR until recently.

I have followed the Ultrafine 5k Owner's thread for months (which was the inspiration for creating this one) and I re-watched the XDR portion of the 2019 WWDC announcement keynote in the day leading up to the purchase.

Seeing Apple executives demo Apple Software on the XDR at the 2020 WWDC also influenced my purchase decision. It looked big and cool.

I chose to get the Nano-Texture because I wanted the display to work in any lighting environment and I think a fully-featured version might be easier to sell when I want to change displays again. I also felt like if I was going to lean in on this display I wanted to go all the way.

The Pro Stand is so expensive it really is hard to stomach. I did look at getting the VESA adapter and some arm / stand to try and reduce the cost some.

What tipped the balance for me was imagining setting up a third party VESA arm and having the display drop or fall. No real reason why that would actually happen but I think I decided "Apple designed these things to go together" and wanted to avoid the complexity or potential risk of working around that.

Order / Delivery
I ordered direct from Apple's Business Team. I did not have a local business account manager, so I just dialed the 800 number and was connected to a nice person in Austin, Texas.

The order included some discounting and free super fast shipping, with both monitor and stand delivery in under 48 hours.

I want to address UPS here, because UPS messed the outer box up pretty bad. There was a major hole punctured through it and an impact mark on the actual box for the XDR. So my first concern after getting it was that the product might be damaged.

IMG_4288.jpeg IMG_4289.jpeg
UPS-inflicted Punture Wound

Secondly, I want to address the materials in the outer shipping box Apple uses with the XDR. It is made of cardboard and a lot of foam which is glued to the cardboard. I know Apple has to pick something to make it safe to ship, but I do not think these materials are included in the Pro Display XDR and the Environment statement on this page.

IMG_4291.jpeg IMG_4306.jpeg
XDR Shipping box, with Glued Foam Cut off

To dispose of these materials, you basically have to cut out all the foam so it can be landfilled and the cardboard recycled. Not a huge deal, but I noticed it.

Unboxing and Setup

I was sort of paranoid setting up the display, it is so expensive I was pretty concerned I might damage it in some way.

I started using my old desk and used some pledge to clean it. This was a mistake, because the Pro stand slides very easily on a freshly pledged desk. (imagine that) So don't do that.

Cleaning the Monitor
This was a surprise.

The display I got had two layers of protection, an outer synthetic fabric one (similar to what is inside a new MacBook between the keys and the display) and then a sticker sheet that is glossy.

I noticed the sticker sheet was bubbled up across a portion of the display. When I removed it, there was obvious residue in the shape of the bubbles on the display.

This worried me a lot, as I needed to use the special polishing cloth immediately. There was so much residue on the screen I wondered if actually had something wrong and needed to go back to Apple.

I spent about 10-15 minutes polishing the surface using the special cloth. The residue was present on a good portion of the display front and particularly noticeable on the black thin bezel.

I had to vigorously wipe the screen back and forth in order to remove it, and the process was all the more difficult because of my aforementioned desk Pledge job which was making the Pro stand slip around.

I needed to sort of cradle the monitor in my arm so I wouldn’t push it backward while I’m vigorously wiping it off. Not awesome!

IMG_4295.jpeg IMG_4296.jpeg
Residue Present on XDR at Unboxing

Turning it On

Finally got to turning it on and realized I should have done cable management before even putting the display on the desk. Probably some planning would have been helpful but I was pretty excited about the display.

The cables on the XDR are quite nice, a woven fabric shielding. Like an old-timey appliance.

I got the screen plugged in, exiting the Black Magic eGPU thunderbolt 3 to the thunderbolt port on the back of the monitor. It came on right away, and it showed this prompt:
101000 Mon 210 PM.png

Before rebooting, I checked Display Settings and saw that the preset for the device is the lower, P3-500 nits setting:
Pro Display XDR.png

I wondered if this default reduces the wear on the monitor. I jacked it up though to the P3-1600 nits mode so I'd get the full effect. I just switched it back to 500 nits and for office work, I kind of wonder if 500 is enough or will increase the longevity. Any feedback on this?

Video Demo and Testing
While the display was obviously very nice, I realized I couldn't even know how good of a monitor I was looking at. Both because my eyes are untrained to recognize display quality this large and this good, and because I didn't have media that would show it off.

I went hunting and found a few good videos that showed off HDR. I'm going to post links to download them in the OP ITT but the filenames of downloads I eventually found were called:

• Real 4K HDR 60fps - LG OLED Perfect Black in HDR.mkv
  • LG New York HDR UHD 4K Demo.ts
  • LG Eye of Storm 4K Demo.ts
Is a 4k HDR video the best test of the XDR? My Mac Mini and Blackmagic were not able to play back 8k, Even when I had it downloaded for local playback, 8k HDR video spiked CPU to unsustainable levels:

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.14.09 AM.png

Working with the XDR
After all this fiddling with it I settled into just trying to use the monitor and quickly realized it would be a big change from my Dell P2715Q.

On the Dell, I used the window management app Divvy to send windows to half the left side, half the right side, or a quarter of the screen in any corner.

With the XDR, I had to update my key mappings to use 1/3rds of the screen. Right now, for example I have the Macrumors page using 1/3rd full height of the center of the XDR. Here is a composite of screenshots showing my window management hotkeys and layouts:

Apple XDR Pro Display - Divvy window managment config - screenshot composite.png

The window arrangement changes and additional hotkeys is going to take some training. Though, I can already tell that 1/3rd of the width of the XDR (~1000px) is sufficient for most web pages. This means you can keep an IDE, two webpages, iMessage and a terminal window open all at the same time.

It does increase the information density, but I suspect this could be something that I'll get used to. I think it will take some time to find workflow that works for me.

Updated Workstation
I went ahead and upgraded my old wood desk to a Fully Jarvis sit stand, and now the workstation is pretty great. I'll post a photo and more about this later.

DOTA 2 on XDR Pro display
This is the only game I let myself play and only rarely these days. I did fire it up and ran it on full settings and it was smooth with the regular Blackmagic. The display quality for the game was obviously better than I've ever seen it.

Overall Impressions of the XDR
It has only been a few days but I really like the display so far. I think a big question people might have is, "is it worth the price for development?" but I think that is something that might take months or years to know, and possibly even require a comparison with whatever paradigm shift visual output product Apple might come out with such as a head-mounted display.

For now I'm just happy I have it and am still getting to know the display.

Last edited:

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
It has been a few days now since I received and set up my XDR, so I wanted to share my experience so far:

Existing System Configuration
My existing setup is a 2018 Mac Mini, 3.2 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7 with an after-market upgrade 32 GB RAM.

I use the Blackmagic Radeon 580 eGPU and have been using the Dell P2715Q since May 2017.

My primary use case is professional software development and design. I often spend much of the day staring at lines of code.

Previous to getting the mini, I used the 2018 MBA with the eGPU, which I continue to use as a portable.

XDR Model and Stand Choice
After WWDC failed to deliver my pipe-dream surprise announcement of a mid-market Apple display, I decided to buy the XDR Pro Display with Nano-Texture and the Pro Stand.

Prior to purchase, I had not seen the XDR in person, because I try to spend as little time in Apple Stores as possible and because I had not seriously considered the XDR until recently.

I have followed the Ultrafine 5k Owner's thread for months (which was the inspiration for creating this one) and I re-watched the XDR portion of the 2019 WWDC announcement keynote in the day leading up to the purchase.

Seeing Apple executives demo Apple Software on the XDR at the 2020 WWDC also influenced my purchase decision. It looked big and cool.

I chose to get the Nano-Texture because I wanted the display to work in any lighting environment and I think a fully-featured version might be easier to sell when I want to change displays again. I also felt like if I was going to lean in on this display I wanted to go all the way.

The Pro Stand is so expensive it really is hard to stomach. I did look at getting the VESA adapter and some arm / stand to try and reduce the cost some.

What tipped the balance for me was imagining setting up a third party VESA arm and having the display drop or fall. No real reason why that would actually happen but I think I decided "Apple designed these things to go together" and wanted to avoid the complexity or potential risk of working around that.

Order / Delivery
I ordered direct from Apple's Business Team. I did not have a local business account manager, so I just dialed the 800 number and was connected to a nice person in Austin, Texas.

The order included some discounting and free super fast shipping, with both monitor and stand delivery in under 48 hours.

I want to address UPS here, because UPS messed the outer box up pretty bad. There was a major hole punctured through it and an impact mark on the actual box for the XDR. So my first concern after getting it was that the product might be damaged.

Secondly, I want to address the materials in the outer shipping box Apple uses with the XDR. It is made of cardboard and a lot of foam which is glued to the cardboard. I know Apple has to pick something to make it safe to ship, but I do not think these materials are included in the Pro Display XDR and the Environment statement on this page.

To dispose of these materials, you basically have to cut out all the foam so it can be landfilled and the cardboard recycled. Not a huge deal, but I noticed it.

Unboxing and Setup

I was sort of paranoid setting up the display, it is so expensive I was pretty concerned I might damage it in some way.

I started using my old desk and used some pledge to clean it. This was a mistake, because the Pro stand slides very easily on a freshly pledged desk. (imagine that) So don't do that.

Cleaning the Monitor
This was a surprise.

The display I got had two layers of protection, an outer synthetic fabric one (similar to what is inside a new MacBook between the keys and the display) and then a sticker sheet that is glossy.

I noticed the sticker sheet was bubbled up across a portion of the display. When I removed it, there was obvious residue in the shape of the bubbles on the display.

Worried me a lot, as I needed to use the special polishing cloth immediately. There was so much residue on the screen I wondered if actually had something wrong and needed to go back to Apple.

I spent about 10-15 minutes polishing the surface using the special cloth, and found that residue was really on the a good portion of the display front, particularly noticeable on the black thin bezel.

I had to vigorously wipe the screen back and forth in order to remove the residue. This was all before plugging it in for the first time.

This is all more difficult because of my Pledge job which was causing the pro stand being slippery on the desk surface. I needed to sort of cradle the monitor in my arm so I wouldn’t push it backward while I’m vigorously wiping it off. Not awesome!

Turning it On

Finally got to turning it on and realized I should have done cable management before even putting the display on the desk. Probably some planning would have been helpful but I was pretty excited about the display.

The cables on the XDR are quite nice, a woven fabric shielding. Like an old-timey appliance.

I got the screen plugged in, exiting the Black Magic eGPU thunderbolt 3 to the thunderbolt port on the back of the monitor. It came on right away, and it showed this prompt:
View attachment 930312

Before rebooting, I checked Display Settings and saw that the preset for the device is the lower, P3-500 nits setting:
View attachment 930314

I wondered if this default reduces the wear on the monitor. I jacked it up though to the P3-1600 nits mode so I'd get the full effect. I just switched it back to 500 nits and for office work, I kind of wonder if 500 is enough or will increase the longevity. Any feedback on this?

Video Demo and Testing
While the display was obviously very nice, I realized I couldn't even know how good of a monitor I was looking at. Both because my eyes are untrained to recognize display quality this large and this good, and because I didn't have media that would show it off.

I went hunting and found a few good videos that showed off HDR. I'm going to post links to download them in the OP ITT but the filenames of downloads I eventually found were called:

• Real 4K HDR 60fps - LG OLED Perfect Black in HDR.mkv
  • LG New York HDR UHD 4K Demo.ts
  • LG Eye of Storm 4K Demo.ts
Is a 4k HDR video the best test of the XDR? My Mac Mini and Blackmagic were not able to play back 8k, Even when I had it downloaded for local playback, 8k HDR video spiked CPU to unsustainable levels:

View attachment 930319

Working with the XDR
After all this fiddling with it I settled into just trying to use the monitor and quickly realized it would be a big change from my Dell P2715Q.

On the Dell, I used the window management app Divvy to send windows to half the left side, half the right side, or a quarter of the screen in any corner.

With the XDR, I had to update my key mappings to use 1/3rds of the screen. Right now, for example I have the Macrumors page using 1/3rd full height of the center of the XDR. Here is a composite of screenshots showing my window management hotkeys and layouts:

View attachment 930325

The window arrangement changes and additional hotkeys is going to take some training. Though, I can already tell that 1/3rd of the width of the XDR (~1000px) is sufficient for most web pages. This means you can keep an IDE, two webpages, iMessage and a terminal window open all at the same time.

It does increase the information density, but I suspect this could be something that I'll get used to. I think it will take some time to find workflow that works for me.

Updated Workstation
I went ahead and upgraded my old wood desk to a Fully Jarvis sit stand, and now the workstation is pretty great. I'll post a photo and more about this later.

DOTA 2 on XDR Pro display
This is the only game I let myself play and only rarely these days. I did fire it up and ran it on full settings and it was smooth with the regular Blackmagic. The display quality for the game was obviously better than I've ever seen it.

Overall Impressions of the XDR
It has only been a few days but I really like the display so far. I think a big question people might have is, "is it worth the price for development?" but I think that is something that might take months or years to know, and possibly even require a comparison with whatever paradigm shift visual output product Apple might come out with such as a head-mounted display.

For now I'm just happy I have it and am still getting to know the display.

great post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.