Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I just discovered a huge scratch on my Pro Display XDR, only visible when the screen is off and visible under bright light. No Apple Care, out or warranty. Any idea what the repair costs would be? I guess around 2700 dollars, no?

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I just discovered a huge scratch on my Pro Display XDR, only visible when the screen is off and visible under bright light. No Apple Care, out or warranty. Any idea what the repair costs would be? I guess around 2700 dollars, no?
I assume you need to replace front glass only

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
It would bother me but if it’s only visible when off I’d let it be and put the $2700 toward my Vision Pro!

How did it happen?
Absolutely never a Vision Pro for me. I have Menieres Disease and these things make me terribly sick and dizzy.

I have no idea how it happened. I have bought the display in a B-Stock and am not sure if it already was scratched, but I never noticed.

On the other side, there might have been some grain or such in my Apple Polishing Cloth. I will ask for a quote tomorrow. But I’ve read if they will quote 2700 EUR or so, I might get a new serial number. And then I will go for AppleCare+, of course.

I also had an offer of 1600 euro from someone to buy it from me, but first let’s see what Apple has to say.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Update: I called Apple and was told the whole unit needs to be replaced. I was told the costs would be 80% of a new Pro Display XDR, coming around 3800 EUR of repair costs, exclusive taxes and labor costs.

I have decided to sell the unit as is and then buy a new one. With Apple Care+, this time!

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Update: I called Apple and was told the whole unit needs to be replaced. I was told the costs would be 80% of a new Pro Display XDR, coming around 3800 EUR of repair costs, exclusive taxes and labor costs.

I have decided to sell the unit as is and then buy a new one. With Apple Care+, this time!
Sorry to hear about your scratch. I’ll be interested to know your experience with a new unit! I’m contemplating getting back on the horse next year after my series of duds this year.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Sorry to hear about your scratch. I’ll be interested to know your experience with a new unit! I’m contemplating getting back on the horse next year after my series of duds this year.
So, I have checked my polishing cloth and I could NOT find any grain or hard material that have could scratch the screen. Also, I have been touching the scratch with my nail. I can’t feel anything.

I also can’t see the scratch when the Pro Display XDR is on or off in daylight. I found out that it is only visible when I put my iPhones flashlight on it.

To be fair, I bought this unit from a German reseller caller Cyberport. It was a B-Stock model. I tend to think the previous buyer ruined it and then returned it. I was too stupid to not check it carefully before taking it with me.

I have asked Cyberport if they could do anything for me. Unfortunately, they did not even make an effort to answer my mail.

Tomorrow someone is coming to check out the unit and buy it. There are 6 people interested in the unit, even though it is scratched. I heavily discounted the price and that makes it interesting for them.

With that money, I will chip in a couple of 1000 bucks to buy a new, fresh Pro Display XDR from a Dutch reseller. My bank gives me 5% discount on it. Of course, the first thing I will do after installing it, is adding Apple Care+.

I have learnt my lesson: do not buy demo models or B-Stock when it comes to the Pro Display XDR or other products that need Apple Care. Without Apple Care, the Pro Display XDR will be a financial burden when it needs to be repaired. ALWAYS buy Apple Care with this device! Other than that, the display has been an absolute dream and that’s why I will buy a new one.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Wait 90 days with that, you have it 90 days longer in the end.
Thanks for the heads-up, but I don’t dare to do so. I want it to be protected immediately. The Pro Display XDR I had was scratched within 90 days and I still have no idea how it happened. I’m not even sure if it is my fault.

On the other hand, I have successfully sold it and will pickup my brand new Pro Display XDR on Saturday from an APR. It will be a 2-hour drive, but looking forward to it. I also had a 6,25% banking discount. :)

Canadian broccoli

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of purchasing a secondhand Apple Pro Display XDR from eBay, and I could use some advice on how to properly profile and test its performance before finalizing the deal.

As a bit of background, I work with projects that are color critical. I've had a conversation with the seller, and while they've been responsive, there are concerns I have about this more than 3-year-old monitor (originally purchased October 2020):

Without knowing the usage pattern or intensity of the previous owner, I'm uncertain about the potential wear on the panel itself. The seller has agreed to have me test the panel in person.

For those of you who've had experience buying secondhand professional monitors:

- Are there any tools or services that you've used to profile and validate the condition of a secondhand monitor ?

For those of you who've purchased XDR pro or other professional monitors

- what is the average life span for such panels. If you ve purchased XDR Pro? what is the long-term life-expectancy of the display?

Appreciate any inputs you guys may have.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
@Canadian broccoli I have not bought a second-hand Pro Display XDR, but bought a B-Stock a few months ago from Cyberport (Germany). While I thought that everything was ok, I discovered there is a scratch below the glass panel. You can't see the scratch when turned on or off. You can only see it when shining with a flashlight on it.

So step one: be sure that the panel is completely flawless. Do not just look with your eyes, but shine a flashlight on it to make sure the panel is OK. Then, check for ghosting and other issues. Check if the panel is even and check HDR too. There are many video's on YouTube that test this matter.

The Pro Display XDR has been on the market for 4 years now and most of the owners still have the same panel. It should not break down easily. But you will need to take in consideration that the repairing costs of these units are skyhigh! Around 80% of the price of buying a new one. I was quoted for 3800 EUR last week and had to sell my Pro Display XDR. Without Apple Care, I wouldn't buy such a display anymore. It will be a big financial burden.

Tomorrow I will pick up a brand new Pro Display XDR and the first thing I will do, is add Apple Care+ to it. While the lifespan seems to be ok, there are some notifications that some Pro Displays don't boot up anymore or that they only see a white screen. So yes, it can get faulty and having it replaced is expensive. Personally, I wouldn't buy a second-hand Pro Display XDR but buy a new one. Even with the Polishing Cloth, one grain will be enough to break your display. Be sure to be prepared of the repairing costs.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I bought an XDR on eBay and the experience was pretty awful. Unit was described as mint (or something like that) but showed up with a chip out of the glass. The chip was in the bezel part of the display so it didn't impact the performance at all. But for $5K or whatever, you want it to be perfect.

I offered to return the display to the seller or accept a discount. Seller fought me to the end. Finally eBay (not the seller) refunded my money while I still had the display. Out of an abundance of good faith, I simply shipped it back to the seller.

Interestingly when I was researching the XDR I had watched a video where the YTer had a very similar chip in his XDR. Said it happened when he was moving the display within his studio.

Net/net: Caveat emptor and inspect the unit carefully if you buy it.

Reactions: Canadian broccoli

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I’m currently in the market looking for a second for another office location.

My first is a nano w the apple stand. Still in great shape.

I have also looked at eBay, and how the price can be driven down. It’s hard to feel like there’s a deal out there when pricing the risk and hassle of second hand. Apple Care does seem like a good idea, it’s a lot of peace of mind.

The apple stand, though, does look like something safer to buy second hand.

And even though I like my Apple one on my first, I adjust it so little that I could probably go for the vesa mount and adapter.

I would consider a standard display for the second, too. Getting a non nano and used or vesa based stand seems like a safer way to reduce the capital cost of another one.

Reactions: Canadian broccoli

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I have picked up my Pro Display XDR and added Apple Care to it.

Surprisingly, I had two options:
- Pay 500 EUR for 3 years of Apple Care
- Pay 180 EUR a year.

I have chosen the latter, it seems I will have more than 3 years of Apple Care, as I understand it.
Based on a few recent reports of people’s XDR dying shortly after their 3 years had expired, I also chose the latter option for coverage.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
This is a long shot question!

Any XDR owners running it with a non-DSC AMD GPU, like Vega 56?

My XDR does great with almost everything, including my Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD 5700XT including native 6K support thanks to SwitchResX.

However, I can't go past Monterey with this machine because OCLP doesn't support Navi GPUs (i.e. my 5700XT). So I'm looking at ways to downgrade to a Vega 56 or similar, but because Vega 56 doesn't support DSC, I can't use my tried and trusted WJESOG DisplayPort to USB-C connection solution to the XDR.

solardudesf

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013

My XDR does great with almost everything, including my Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD 5700XT including native 6K support thanks to SwitchResX.

However, I can't go past Monterey with this machine because OCLP doesn't support Navi GPUs (i.e. my 5700XT). So I'm looking at ways to downgrade to a Vega 56 or similar, but because Vega 56 doesn't support DSC, I can't use my tried and trusted WJESOG DisplayPort to USB-C connection solution to the XDR.

No personal experience, but I saw this page:

Sounds like if you add this (agdpmod=pikera) to the boot arguments it might work.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
No personal experience, but I saw this page:

Sounds like if you add this (agdpmod=pikera) to the boot arguments it might work.
I think those boot args are what OCLP uses in combination with a AVX2.0 CPU. But Mac Pros older than 7,1 don't support AVX2.0.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

You would need a flashed Titan Ridge card that enables full Thunderbolt support. Then hopefully Apple's Thunderbolt software can use the card to output 6K to the XDR using the special dual HBR3 mode over Thunderbolt. I don't know if anyone has done that.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
You would need a flashed Titan Ridge card that enables full Thunderbolt support. Then hopefully Apple's Thunderbolt software can use the card to output 6K to the XDR using the special dual HBR3 mode over Thunderbolt. I don't know if anyone has done that.
Didn't work with my Hackintosh as I remember. The max resolution was limited to 5K or 6K through 5K framebuffer.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

Didn't work with my Hackintosh as I remember. The max resolution was limited to 5K or 6K through 5K framebuffer.
I guess this is indeed bleeding-edge stuff! :D

Any other recommendations or suggestions to get the XDR working @ 6K with a Vega GPU via macOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.