Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
The Pro Display XDR is showing a 7-8 week shipping time for me in the Apple U.S. store and it seems all retailers are extremely low or have no stock. Is this pretty typical for this item? I remember hearing reports of long delays when it launched but I would have thought they would have stock on hand by now. Is there any possibility this item is on the chopping block? It was removed from Amazon search today.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
Placed an order here in Indonesia and the distributor here quoted me 5-7 weeks delivery for the nano texture display + stand. But its here in Indonesia where shipping times usually got extended. Who knows, maybe it is a shortage?

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
B&H shows both the Textured and Standard screens in stock at the same price as Apple. If you open credit with B&H on their pay boo credit card (a Synchronity bank card) B&H absorbs (or rebates) the sales tax, if any. As long as you pay the credit card by the due date, there are no interest charges. Just a month ago I ordered it for same day delivery from a Los Angeles Apple store that had them in stock, who knows what is going on.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I bet there's a container of XDR displays stuck in the Suez Canal...
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Now that its unclogged, I'll just hope my order ships quicker. ;) My order still says delivering May 19 - May 25 in the midwestern US.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Now that its unclogged, I'll just hope my order ships quicker. ;) My order still says delivering May 19 - May 25 in the midwestern US.
Unless you have an Apple discount, why not order from B&H or Amazon (still showing one standard in stock)- authorized dealers?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
Unless you have an Apple discount, why not order from B&H or Amazon (still showing one standard in stock)- authorized dealers?
Getting pretty great education pricing and zero interest with an Apple Card, hence why I'm not doing B&H, which seems to be the only retailer in stock right now. I actually originally ordered from Amazon about a week ago but they abruptly canceled the order on Saturday because of a stock shortage. When I searched for it again on Amazon, the entire product page disappeared from search results, but I see it's back right now with 1 in stock...So...I'll stick with Apple for now.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Depending on the state where delivery is, often the savings of B&H absorbing the Sales Tax (it is paid, but by B&H if using their own credit card - there is instant approval for most), is similar to the Apple discount. Of course, not at zero interest if you are planning on financing this. For high tax States such as NY and CA the discount exceeds 9%. I suppose their bet by them paying the tax is that many buyers will finance at the credit card interest rate.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
The Pro Display XDR is showing a 7-8 week shipping time for me in the Apple U.S. store and it seems all retailers are extremely low or have no stock. Is this pretty typical for this item? I remember hearing reports of long delays when it launched but I would have thought they would have stock on hand by now. Is there any possibility this item is on the chopping block? It was removed from Amazon search today.
UK-based here. I ordered one on 28th March. Estimated delivery is 20th-26th May.

So that's about 8.5 weeks here. Although Apple usually underpromises and overdelivers, so there's probably a week overestimate in there.

Regarding your point on this product being on the chopping block. I'd say no. Apple spent a lot of R&D money on this and the margins are likely huge. This thing will be around for AGES. They don't sell many of them, but the margin is huge and there's not much to support in terms of software. Plus, Apple just discontinued the HomePod, if it were going to happen, it'd have happened then.

It does suck that it's such a long wait though :-(

Reactions: rawweb

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
UK-based here. I ordered one on 28th March. Estimated delivery is 20th-26th May.

So that's about 8.5 weeks here. Although Apple usually underpromises and overdelivers, so there's probably a week overestimate in there.

Regarding your point on this product being on the chopping block. I'd say no. Apple spent a lot of R&D money on this and the margins are likely huge. This thing will be around for AGES. They don't sell many of them, but the margin is huge and there's not much to support in terms of software. Plus, Apple just discontinued the HomePod, if it were going to happen, it'd have happened then.

It does suck that it's such a long wait though :-(

I'm in the same date/position as you here in the US. Let's hope for faster delivery and they suddenly get some stock to move. Who knows, maybe it will quickly flip from processing to shipping and we'll both be enjoying eye popping 6k retina here soon. Or at least I can hope!

randy85

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Yes mine took weeks to arrive. It almost feels like they're built to order and there isn't a great deal of stock sitting around. I was tempted to go with a reseller that had one w/ next day delivery but the Apple small business discount made it worth waiting.

Purely speculation, but perhaps they'll make a more mass market display available once the tech ships in the new iMacs?

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
Also worth sharing. I ordered a Pro XDR shortly after they came out. It took 54 days to arrive. So... Interestingly, the time from order to delivery has actually marginally increased...

Jeez.

I returned my first Pro Display XDR. I had a tonne of issues with it that really annoyed me. E.g., I connected my speakers to the back with a USBC adapter and I got popping issues every few minutes. I had issues with the ports on the back of the monitor not picking up my ethernet adapter and so on.

This time I'm willing to overlook some of that stuff because I'm got a significant discount via friends at Apple and a work discount on top.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I saw MicroCenter had the XDR listed for $500 off ($4,499.99 USD) and a location within a very very long evening drive was in stock. Suffice to say, I canceled the Apple order and snatched this up as the discount was far better than Apple's and waiting 8-9 weeks for shipping. I'm a happy camper. Thanks everyone for your input.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I saw MicroCenter had the XDR listed for $500 off ($4,499.99 USD) and a location within a very very long evening drive was in stock. Suffice to say, I canceled the Apple order and snatched this up as the discount was far better than Apple's and waiting 8-9 weeks for shipping. I'm a happy camper. Thanks everyone for your input.
Happy with it?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
So far, incredibly. I’m beyond impressed with the accuracy and scale. Sitting in front of one is spectacular. From a guy who used to swear by dual 27”, this fits the bill perfectly to replace both. Apple has really a great product here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.