Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaywonjoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Hi guys!

I'm currently thinking of buying the Pro Display XDR but I can't tell if Apple is going to be updating it any time soon. Given how expensive it is, it'd kill me to buy the monitor just to have them release a new version 3 months down the line.

My thinking is:
1. If they were to update it on an annual basis, they would've said so in June and would've released it for sale in December. As such, the next release date would likely be next June (or in like 10 years like they did with the Cinema Display lol).
2. Given that they didn't do the above, this year's December event will likely be catered towards the updated 27" M1 iMacs?
3. I also imagine the people who bought the XDR would all be keeping it for some time so there wouldn't be much of a market for a new display this year

I dunno, it probably is just going to come down to me buying it and hoping for the best haha but it'd be nice to get some outside opinions before I take the leap. Thanks!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The old Cinema Display which was cutting edge at the time never got updated.
This new Pro Display XDR is a professional tool. I personally don't see it getting replaced with something better any time soon

Reactions: MikeDr206

jaywonjoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
The old Cinema Display which was cutting edge at the time never got updated.
This new Pro Display XDR is a professional tool. I personally don't see it getting replaced with something better any time soon
I agree. Which is kind of a shame because I'd love a copy of it in space grey but that's probably a couple years out; if at all haha.

Thanks for your input!

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
have the same feeling - is a Mini-LED version on the horizon now that the tech has been in use on the iPad Pros?

jaywonjoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
have the same feeling - is a Mini-LED version on the horizon now that the tech has been in use on the iPad Pros?
This is definitely something I see happening too however it does seem like they're having production issues with it right now? If you skip to 16:46 of this video by Snazzy Labs he talks about it a little bit.

Also, at the end of the video, he mentions how "there are other rumors floating about but none of them are slated for this year." This kind of gives me a bit of confidence that, if they do update it, it won't be announced until next June or so and possibly released until December like they did with this current model.

Who actually knows though haha

jaywonjoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
I think at this point, my decision is pretty much that I'm going to buy it and hope for the best.

I'm unfortunately at a point where I need a larger monitor for work and I don't want to hold myself back waiting for a potential "ideal" monitor.

Worst case scenario, they announce a new, space grey + mini LED screen sometime in Q3/Q4 and I take a $1000 hit selling mine on eBay. ??‍♂️

Reactions: kwijbo

pbooth

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
I think at this point, my decision is pretty much that I'm going to buy it and hope for the best.

I'm unfortunately at a point where I need a larger monitor for work and I don't want to hold myself back waiting for a potential "ideal" monitor.

Worst case scenario, they announce a new, space grey + mini LED screen sometime in Q3/Q4 and I take a $1000 hit selling mine on eBay. ??‍♂️
Let us know what you think. There aren’t many discussions about real world uses of this

Maxim Glukhov

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020
No one can really tell what Apple plans to release and when so I don't know if wondering about that would very practical. You can find yourself hanging on the fence for months waiting for next gen which may or may not come.

Instead, I would suggest asking yourself questions that can be answered:
1. Do you need it right now? eventually this is a tool we are talking about, if it's improving your workflow even for just a few months it might be worth the investment.
2. Which features that might be in next generation that would bum you so hard on the current purchase? The top things I could imagine are Mini LED, ProMotion?, FaceID? This monitor is already insanely good in many aspects although it has its flaws.
3. Can you sell it if a new one comes out? And if so, can you stomach the value loss?
4. If you are a multi monitor setup person, could you make a dual setup with them? (assuming you buy another).

To sum it up, I will share my personal thoughts. Would it be a bit disappointing having an older generation? Sure... However I enjoy working with this monitor so much right now and having a new one coming out won't run it that experience for me personally.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Historically Apple has been very slow to update displays (so much so that they promoted the LG displays as they had no alternative of their own). I would very surprised if they updated this display in the near future, and given supply constraints are far more likely to spend their time and resources on an updated larger screen iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.