Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Work is assigning me a 14 Pro Max - have yet to receive it but compared to my regular 11 it looks like an iPad.

Anyone ever regret getting the Pro Max due to the size?

My fear is it’s too big & I will have a hard time using it or dropping it. Do magnetic rings work well?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I went max for the first time. It’s fine. Though I will prob go back to standard size when time comes to upgrade.

It’s not as bad as I thought and the battery life is nice. But it is less convenient.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I went from a 5.8' iPhone X to a 6.7' 15PM and I love it. Doesn't seem big at all and I really enjoy the larger screen and added features..

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
The magnetic rings work great. I’d advise on an Apple cover if you want to keep them strong in use (some covers have weak/no magnets).

It’s a big phone but the screen is really nice to use, easy to tap buttons, easy to read and nice for photo and video.

The only way to know if you like it is to try it so I wish you the best of luck. I use both the 13 mini and 15 max so 2 ends of the spectrum.

I like them both.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I’ve been max since the big phones came out; went back to regular for the 12 and couldn’t wait to go back to max for the 14. I’m here to stay. For me, an average size guy with slightly larger than average hands, the max is fine to use and the extra screen estate is meaningful.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Work is assigning me a 14 Pro Max - have yet to receive it but compared to my regular 11 it looks like an iPad.

My fear is it’s too big & I will have a hard time using it or dropping it. Do magnetic rings work well?

Nope and i’ll go bigger.

Weight doesn’t bother me either. Put it in an Otterbox Commuter case.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Got my 14 Pro Max yesterday & I love it. My only beef is I was so used to the silicone case from Apple on my 11 that I’m struggling with the non- Apple case they gave me for the Pro Max. It feels like the phone will slip out of my hands.

I can’t justify spending the extremely overpriced silicone version from Apple - been checking Kijji for used but so far no dice.

Any alternatives to the Apple silicone that feel just as firm in your hand?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

Yes. Get the 15 Plus. Has the important benefits of Max (larger screen) but easy to carry and a pleasure to hold.

No idea why people gravitate naturally to the Max. The Plus is the better phone for most people this year.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

I went for the 15 Pro Max this time, mainly for the extra screen size and the 5x optical zoom.

You do get used to the larger size quite quickly, but its obviously more tricky to use one handed sometimes.

I've had one since launch but am going to sell it and have gone back to the Pro instead. As much as I love the 5x zoom, not having in between is a bit restrictive and I'll be honest, I don't think the trade off in size is worth it.

I've been using a 15 Pro today and it feels like an iPhone Mini after a couple of months of the Max.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I went from Pro size 6.1" to the Max after rocking the pro size for so long. And whenever I hold the Pro size now it feels crazy dinky. I wouldn't want to go back. But if you don't consume much on your phone I can see how having the larger phone is not really desired.

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
I went from a 6.1 pro to a PM and I really regret the switch- will definitely go back to the standard size next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.