Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apostrophe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Copenhagen
I have a macbookpro and wants to make music with pro tools. I was just about to buy the mbox2 with pro tools 6.8.1 but it seems this version can't be upgraded to the intelbased pro tools 7.1.1.
Naturally I'll wait until the compatible version is here (they said end of may, right?!) but what to buy then?
Is there any mbox or m-audio etc. on the way with pro tools 7.x that can be upgraded?
Somebody must know something...
Regards
Apostrophe (')

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Either of the versions of LE (M-box or M-Powered) can be bought at 7.1 now, but no Protools is Intel compatible till they release the UB at the end of May (yeah, right.....).

I have an old M-box and v7, and I'm expecting to be able to upgrade to the Intel version for a small fee (basically just a new disc).

My advice is to wait for the UB unless you really need it now and have a PPC machine to run it on.

...or you could just get Logic I guess...;)

apostrophe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Copenhagen
Hey thanks wintermute!
But do you think the new version comes with a mbox (or other types) or is it just an upgrade, which means I still have to get version 7.x first?
I hope it makes sense...
(')

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
apostrophe said:
Hey thanks wintermute!
But do you think the new version comes with a mbox (or other types) or is it just an upgrade, which means I still have to get version 7.x first?
I hope it makes sense...
(')

Sort of...

If you buy PT new now with the M-box 2, you'll get 7.1 (I think), which you can then upgrade to the Intel version when it's released.

However, the M-box 2 is a dog...!

You'd be better off with the M-powered version (although there are a few issues there too).

Otherwise get an M-box 1 with whatever version of PT it has (6.9 is still cool) and upgrade once the UB arrives.

OR... get a 002 rack if you've got the bucks.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
WinterMute said:
get a 002 rack if you've got the bucks.
and then get it modded so it sounds good.*

* i've not had direct experience with the mod, but have read positive reviews at gearslutz (for whatever that's worth) and heard some clips.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
WinterMute said:
You'd be better off with the M-powered version (although there are a few issues there too).
Agreed. A M-powered version allows a bit more flexibility, and keeps you from getting locked into Digi's hardware (which i hate).

That said, having had the ability to run the Mbox1 and the Mbox2, the Mbox1 is hands down the winner in every way, but i would rather use a M-Audio FW 410 with the M-powered version of Pro-Tools.

apostrophe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Copenhagen
Damn, you guys are quick! Thanks for the info.
Well I've been thinking all along that the mbox2 looks a bit like something from the toystore and I would like something with firewire. But my thoughts were that the mbox comes with protools and it is quite affordable.
But I'm still a newbie and hasn't checked all there is.
I've seen the m-audio fw - it looks nice but what to do with pro tools then? I haven't understood this with m-powered and LE versions and so on
Besides, I don't have that much money to spend and from my location in Denmark I can only find equipment in a few webshops - like thomann.de in Germany...
So once again; any help is a big help.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I just installed the new Pro Tools on my Macbook. In the course of the installation it told me that it had to change some of my hotkeys related to Dashboard and Spotlight. I don't really use hotkeys much in protools so I'd like to fix whatever it changed. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find WHAT it changed (I'm a new switcher, so this is all a bit foreign to me). Can anyone help? Many thanks.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Dashboard and spotlight use the F keys I think, as does some of the key commands in PT.

It simply means you don't get Dashboard popping up and ruining a recording.

apostrophe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Copenhagen
Where to buy M-audio and Pro Tools?

I'm about to buy some equipment M-audio firewire 410, pro tools 7., and I have a guy in the states who can ship my package on to Denmark.
But where should I buy it?
I've checked sites like amazon.com and zzound.com, but if someone knows someone who knows something about something...
Thanks!
(')

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
apostrophe said:
I have a guy in the states who can ship my package on to Denmark.
there are no digidesign dealers near you? buying from the US and shipping it, when there are european dealers, will probably get you a gray market unit. that's a lot of hassle should something go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.