Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm an unashamed iPad Pro M1 heavy user. I use it daily for a ton of work.
My most 'heavy' usage is using LumaFusion (and perhaps Davinci soon). For multi-cam videos I'm importing files from SD, microSD, USB drives, and AirDrop simultaneously, and copying them onto a Samsung T7 SSD; when editing I use external speakers 3.5mm port, a mechanical USB keyboard, and occasionally I also use HDMI for external display; when I do this, I use up every single port on my USB-C hub.

I'm feeling a little at the limit of what I can do with a hub like this. I think the hub is only USB 3.0 speeds. The hub is powered through the iPad, and I imagine that it's bottlenecked by the output of all these devices through the single 3.0 connection. Transfer speeds aren't fast enough.

I want the very best for my iPad, and I think I'm ready for a really good, thunderbolt, externally-powered dock. I know about the Caldigit TS4, which has all the ports I need, but feels overkill. The TS3 is lacking some ports I need, like MicroSD.
Can anyone suggest a nice dock?

TLDR: Need a dock with 2-3x USB-A, 1-2 USB-C, MicroSD + SD, headphone jack, HDMI, external power, thunderbolt speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.