Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Rumors have been around that Media 100 will drop the Apple platform for it's new PEGASUS video system. it has been announced that Pegasus will be released on February 25. Media 100 will not say what OS it will be on. common sense would say that it would run on OS X on a G5. Media 100 have been floundering and common sense could be in short supply. We'll find out in 4 weeks. It is interesting that the Pegasus release is the day after Seybold finnishes. Will they stick with Apple, but are waiting for a new G4 or G5 to be released at Seybold?

link to the story
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2002/01_jan/news/cw_pegasus_peek.htm

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
NAW

I have about 3K hours on Media 100 on many different systems and not once have I seen one on NT. Besides, I just saw M100 demo-ing there system on OSX during Macworld. I think it would be mistake to leave the mac platform.

Didnt Avid say they were leaving the MAc Platform and after an uproar they took it back? Correct me if I'm wrong..

748s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
iFinish

about 2 years back they released a number of pc versions called iFinish. don't know how well they are selling but they are still selling them. version 8 is for OS X but it still has only 2 video tracks. (grrrrrrrrr). it would be a mistake to leave the mac platform. i think media 100 will still support the media 100 application but it looks like the pegasus system will be the one they push. avid did have to rethink the move to dump apple....bad reaction to that idea.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
video companies would not dump apple now

Avid will be back to selling toasters out of garages because of what they did.. Final Cut Pro 4 will probably be the final salvo that sinks their ship. Already Final Cut Pro 2 and 3 have taken a big bite out of their market. Does anyone else really want to give Apple a reason to "iSoftware" or "Software Pro" their way into their market?

Hey, if Apple was really smart, they'd release a product called iWin which allows people to run Windows apps for free only on intel PCs just to bankrupt microsoft.. and then a built in time limit would expire its freeware license just after Redmonds bites the dust.. :D

748s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
i think media 100 may have got the idea that it is time to move to another area of video. fcp is hitting them as well as avid. media 100 recently sold cleaner to discreet, an indication they are moving on. avid doesn't seem know whats going on. no doubt their toasters will only toast avid proprietary bread.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Question... If we have FCP do we really need Avid's media pro...

Note: I have no idea, I don't do much video editing (I use iMovie) and have no idea, so don't flame me!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
because of fcp i have stopped using the media 100 set up.... fcp is like the photoshop of video editing software. i lost my faith in media 100 after having visited their main headquarters. what a dump! anyway avid sucks too... or at least the corporate department that i deal with does. they are always trying to find ways to exclude the mac. for example, they intentionally had created a java script on their web site that would not let the flash animation to play on macs.. they said it was because macs could not handle the motion graphics.. the funny thing is that back in 2001 i was doing the animations i did them on a mac!!! sorry to go off the subject there. not to fond of either company. but to some it up, milk with out chunks good. milk with chunks bad.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Avid madlib.

Oh, Avid's just playing the part of a bitter queen now because Apple has knocked out a significant chunk of change from their market..!

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I work at a 24 hour International News Station. 6 Months ago, our Newsroom changed over to PC-based Avid Newscutters. When shown Apple's latest editing software on the web, the Editors' appetites were whetted...

...now they've nearly all made the switch to Apple - privately, of course, each either getting a Tower, or hanging out for the G4 iMac.

Final Cut Pro 3 was just too much of a temptation to them, with features equalling (and, even in some cases, surpassing) that of systems ten times as expensive.

Some of the freelance editors actually request to work with Final Cut Pro, when asked what system they would like when doing corporate work in the real world. That's some accolade for Apple.

So, although my workplace still uses Avid, Apple is still the choice of professionals - and these folks are as good as they get.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Since the Media 100 Pegasus is priced around $60,000 it is in line to compete with Avid. Right now Avid is getting slammed by FCP even in a lot of the high end studios who use the same FCP2 or 3 with high end capture cards to make really nice and capable edit suites at a fraction of Avid's cost.
If it was priced at $1000 it could compete with FCP. I don't really see too much competition for Final Cut out there. Over on the PC side, I haven't seen any systems that I would really like to use, and most of the guys I know that do use PC based editors hate 'em. If Media 100 really wnated to make a killer app they should make a lower priced editor for windows machines. Once you get over $10,000 it doesn't matter what OS you're on, since the machine price becomes a smaller percentage of the overall package.
A top of the line mac would only be 5% of the cost on the Pegasus.
The only other thing to consider is the helper apps, AE, Photoshop, Boris, etc. the graphics have to come from somewhere and usually they come off a mac, so it may not be wise to abandon the Mac.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
fcp

fcp is killing the NEW pro user market for avid. the guys that learned avid when it was the newest, the biggest, and the best thing out there will stay with it 'till the end. Avid still has a few things over FCP3, but not for that price! And the poor guys stuck with editing on a PC have it hard. there really arent any good sub $1000 pc editors out there (adobe can go suck a big fat one becuase they definately have the worst editor of them all). I've been using final cut since FCP 1.25 and im not going anywhere else.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I guess that's true about the Avid guys, I even know a major studio that has old old Avids and won't upgrade 'cause they don't want to learn anything new. The Avid crowd is keenly aware of FCP and they're keeping an eye on it since they know that a big part of the business is going that way. When the time comes to replace failing machines or build new suites, I'm not so sure that the accountants and owners will automatically get more Avids.
I know this is a hardware discussion but I can't help point out one thing here...editing is still an art, not just a function. A lot of the editors will groan a little when they have to learn a new machine, but they will still be editors, not just software/machine operators.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.