Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
Considering that the iPhone 15 has the same SoC of the 14 Pro and the 14 has the same one of the 13 Pro, what do you think will be Apple's software update policy in the future? Will they arbitrarily stop supporting some models despite them having the exact same chip of some newer ones or will the Pros just get one extra iOS release?

Just curious to hear your opinions!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
For the regular model, I think there is expectation you get fewer years of iOS updates. The iPhone SE (2016) didn't get more updates compared to iPhone 6S (2015) even though both are A9-based.

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
For the regular model, I think there is expectation you get fewer years of iOS updates. The iPhone SE (2016) didn't get more updates compared to iPhone 6S (2015) even though both are A9-based.
That’s true, but the SE was sold as a cheaper model, while the 14/15 are the “standard” iPhones.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That’s true, but the SE was sold as a cheaper model, while the 14/15 are the “standard” iPhones.

The way Apple sees it, they didn't increase the price of the regular iPhone. As a result, the model is n-1 in most things, camera, processor, RAM, features, price, and support.

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
The way Apple sees it, they didn't increase the price of the regular iPhone. As a result, the model is n-1 in most things, camera, processor, RAM, features, price, and support.
It makes sense, I expect the same.

I guess the nice thing is that the 13 line should receive 1 extra year of support as a result (since it shares the 14’s SoC).

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The iPhone 7 (A10) finished on iOS 15 giving it one less year of support than the 6S & OGSE (A9).

I think they’ll arbitrarily end support for the older models despite them all sharing the chipset as the newer models.

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
The iPhone 7 (A10) finished on iOS 15 giving it one less year of support than the 6S & OGSE (A9).

I think they’ll arbitrarily end support for the older models despite them all sharing the chipset as the newer models.
But this is a different situation, isn’t it?

I think Apple arbitrarily decides whether a certain chip is going to support an iOS release, but once they decide that a SoC is supported, all the iPhones that feature it should get the update.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

I think Apple arbitrarily decides whether a certain chip is going to support an iOS release, but once they decide that a SoC is supported, all the iPhones that feature it should get the update.
I know it’s slightly different but Apple ended support for A8 on the iPhone 6/6 Plus at iOS 12. The A8 in the iPad Mini 4 was supported until iPadOS 15. The differences between iOS and iPadOS are completely negligible.

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
I know it’s slightly different but Apple ended support for A8 on the iPhone 6/6 Plus at iOS 12. The A8 in the iPad Mini 4 was supported until iPadOS 15. The differences between iOS and iPadOS are completely negligible.
You have a point.
I always assumed that Apple updates iPads for longer because they know people don’t replace them as often and don’t care as much. Furthermore, they often release iPads with older chips and probably want to offer a decent support for those as well (esp. for education).

Regarding the A8, I think the iPhone 6 was dropped particularly early (3 releases before the 6S) because they realized that 1GB just wasn’t enough (the A8 in the iPad has 2GB). I believe that it was a pretty unique situation and if it wasn’t for the memory they would have kept it until iOS 13/14.

But these are just my pointless, overly complicated hypotheses. I should probably stop making them and focus on something else!

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You have a point.
I always assumed that Apple updates iPads for longer because they know people don’t replace them as often and don’t care as much. Furthermore, they often release iPads with older chips and probably want to offer a decent support for those as well (esp. for education).

Regarding the A8, I think the iPhone 6 was dropped particularly early (3 releases before the 6S) because they realized that 1GB just wasn’t enough (the A8 in the iPad has 2GB). I believe that it was a pretty unique situation and if it wasn’t for the memory they would have kept it until iOS 13/14.

But these are just my pointless, overly complicated hypotheses. I should probably stop making them and focus on something else!
I agree that RAM had a part to play in the decision as iOS 15 appears to be very taxing on my iPad Mini 4.

My personal belief is that the Pro and regular iPhones are going to end on the same iOS version. The Pro will likely offer the benefit of one additional year of support over the regular model.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I think the point is that we really don't know at this point how long Apple decides to support a device for, and for whatever reason. Especially now that we have supposedly flagship iPhones sporting a year-old processor.

For example, I could argue that the iPhone 7 didn't get iOS 15 because Apple decided that the A10 chip could not support the new Lock Screen features. Meanwhile, the A10 iPad did get iPadOS 15 because it didn't need to. The implication is that the iPhone 7 could probably run a version of iOS 15 without said functionality, but sometimes Apple decides it's simply cleaner to cut off support entirely rather than engineer a separate version of iOS with virtually all the functionality stripped out to the point where it's essentially just an update in name only.

But I think it's probably safe to assume users will get at least 5 years of software support for their iOS devices. Anything more is a bonus.

Reactions: Losendos

Losendos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
I agree that RAM had a part to play in the decision as iOS 15 appears to be very taxing on my iPad Mini 4.

My personal belief is that the Pro and regular iPhones are going to end on the same iOS version. The Pro will likely offer the benefit of one additional year of support over the regular model.
I just hope they will follow the logical path, which is supporting all the device with the same cheap. If they don’t I will be really pissed, because it would mean that Apple is willing to sacrifice even the smallest bit of logic just for pure greed. It’s their right obviously, but it’s getting annoying to me, as a user and customer.

I think the point is that we really don't know at this point how long Apple decides to support a device for, and for whatever reason. Especially now that we have supposedly flagship iPhones sporting a year-old processor.

For example, I could argue that the iPhone 7 didn't get iOS 15 because Apple decided that the A10 chip could not support the new Lock Screen features. Meanwhile, the A10 iPad did get iPadOS 15 because it didn't need to. The implication is that the iPhone 7 could probably run a version of iOS 15 without said functionality, but sometimes Apple decides it's simply cleaner to cut off support entirely rather than engineer a separate version of iOS with virtually all the functionality stripped out to the point where it's essentially just an update in name only.

But I think it's probably safe to assume users will get at least 5 years of software support for their iOS devices. Anything more is a bonus.
You are right. They also added the new lockscreen in iPadOS 17 which still runs on A10, so that clearly wasn’t the reason.

I’m starting to get really annoyed by this total illogical control though.
I really don’t like being forced to replace perfectly fine hardware just for the lack of security patches and 3rd party apps support.

I’m really starting to consider to jump ship, even if the competitors have their own set of flaws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.