Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mileham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
(It is a 2006 with 2,1 firmware upgrade) Tried installing Windows 7 64bit with Bootcamp, on a separate drive in bay 2. Bootcamp labeled this one /Volumes/BOOTCAMP.

Bootcamp downloaded the support files to a USB stick, no problem. When the choice was presented which drive to use for Windows, I chose the drive in bay 2, as labeled above. After 'Continue' the machine shut off and could not restart properly -- 'No boot device' error message. Pressing a key did nothing.

Tried restarting and pressing D for a hardware test. Nothing. Tried accessing Open Firmware. Also nothing. Put a bootable DVD in an external drive and held down the C key. Again nothing. No keys respond on startup.

I held down the power button while starting up, hoping to use a firmware restoration disc that I have . LED flashed quickly several times (more than 3 for sure), then a long tone sounded, but the internal tray never opened.

I'm concluding that I fried the firmware somehow and the logic board is toast. If not, anything else I should try?

Mileham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.