Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I was streaming movies from laptop to my tv using hdmi.
Stream was smooth.

I just got an older apple tv3 to stream the movies without using the hdmi.

The stream hits small bumps regularly when viewing a movie using the apple tv, making it a bit annoying to watch.

Is this occurring because the apple tv is an older generation, or because my internet speed is too slow when streaming from the laptop to the tv using the apple tv, or ... ?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Internet speed has no effect on transmission between devices on your network. My guess is that your video isn't in the preferred format and your Mac is transcoding it before sending it to the AppleTV. Try other means of playing the movie–AirPlay, screen sharing, or put it in a shared library on the Mac and let the AppleTV pull it from the library. One of those methods might work best.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Good to know internet speed makes no difference.

I can't use airplay because my smart tv, like me, ain't too smart :)

The movies are on a free site and another free live football site.
I've used both sites for 3 years with no buffering on the laptop or when I use the hdmi to tv.
I don't think I can put the movie or the live games from those sites in a shared library or can I?

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Internet speed has no effect on transmission between devices on your network. My guess is that your video isn't in the preferred format and your Mac is transcoding it before sending it to the AppleTV. Try other means of playing the movie–AirPlay, screen sharing, or put it in a shared library on the Mac and let the AppleTV pull it from the library. One of those methods might work best.
Update:
I used the airplay on my mac pro M1 and my older mac air with the apple tv. As mentioned the stream was bumping on both.
To activate the airplay I did so using the icon on the menu bar.

On the movie streaming site, I noticed, an airplay icon on the movie site itself. So I tried activating airplay using that icon instead of the one on the menu bar.
SUCCESS! No bumps on the stream.

I suspect the stream bumps occurred because it was mirroring rather than airplaying.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.